Oh look another coil over thread

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ Mk2.5
  2. I’m based near: __ The shires
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ coil overs

Quick question this is just for road going B road blaster/normal driving, no track days mx5
Just want less body roll/furmer ride without teeth falling out on every bump and dropped a bit, but not slammed.

Do I buy cheaper MeisterR Sportive or pay the extra and get MeisterR ZetaCRD or Tein Flex Z

And is it worth getting socks for them?

I can’t speak for other brands with the mx5 and I know meister have a lot of fans but I don’t own them myself, but for road only I went for tein flex z due to brand loyalty, previous experience with them and price - and am perfectly happy with the results which met my expectations just fine. Can be set to as soft as stock or as hard as rock. Damping works pretty well, quiet and not crashy.

I’ve never used Coilover socks personally, my thoughts are whatever can keep crud out can also trap crud in and the wheel arch is a harsh place. A jet wash and clean up every so often kept my last set of tein ‘driving master type flex’ (essentially flex z) in tip top condition for years and all I did was occasionally remove the wheels for a proper clean and wipe down. :+1:

1 Like

I’m happy with MeisterR ZetaCRD on my ND1 and I have them turned up towards the stiffer end even for road use. However, a firm ride doesn’t bother me and sometimes I like to drive as though my face is on fire… my setup might be too uncompromising for some.

You can get a rust protection spray from MeisterR, so I did that.

1 Like

Go with whats in your budget. You will get lots of opinions, and most people will be happy with what they brought, as being their one and only shock/spring purchase.

For instance, I’m happy with Protec and P6 springs, but that’s no longer a choice, give what happened to P5. But one part of that is that it makes use of OE hardware; NB top mounts and parts.

For that reason, when the time comes, Tein Street Basis Z will be top of my list (they use Mazda top mount hardware). Tein have brought their prices down a bit because they have established their own factory in China (I looked into this; it is actually their own factory, not a private label partner, and so its, allegedly, running to the same standards as Japan). They seem to have good support of there is a problem. I will not go for Meister R, because of doubts on the support, and lack of transparency about how involved they actually are in the manufacture of their products (they use private label factories in Taiwan and PRC).

I’ve decided I don’t actually need rebound/compression adjustment (the Protecs haven’t been touched in more than a decade, and I think they are still at pretty much Phil Dixon’s recommended settings).

1 Like