Oil catch tank for ND

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND2
  2. I’m based near: __Sheffield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Oil catch tank

With the ND being direct injection I am concerned about the inlet valves being coated with a build-up of burnt on oil vapour. Does anyone know if it would be possible to re-route the engine oil breather to a catch tank?

Not relevant on the Skyactiv

“To eliminate the problem of intake valve deposits that plague current direct gasoline injection engines, the engineers at Mazda determined that deposits are formed when intake valve temperatures fall below 400 degrees C. Measures were taken so that the intake valve would operate above this point to reduce deposit formation.”

“One of the biggest issues with direct injection engines is a build up of deposits on the intake valve. Mazda determined that this was largely due to the intake valve being too cool. A lot of analysis went into designing the heat paths away from the valves to keep them at the proper temperature to avoid deposit formation.”

3 Likes

Just out of interest where are you ‘catching’ it from? I am not aware that this engine breathes to the atmosphere but always willing to learn.
On older engines I used a plastic screen washer bottle and on those that were ‘heavy’ breathers I would put an ‘oil trap’ in the vertical line so the oil in the vapours would condense back into the engine.
:heart:

The engine breather is routed to the inlet manifold.

Thanks IanH. I hadn’t realised that but obviously Mazda are on the ball!

That isn’t actually the case unfortunately, plenty of people in the US are running catch cans and even some over here. Cars have been found to have a fair build up even at only 10k miles, unfortunately no-one seems to be making an off the shelf kit suitable for RHD.

2 Likes

That’s an opinion and there are plenty of threads on Miata.net on the subject which don’t necessarily support that on a factual basis.

Those threads tend to become circular arguments, I’d say to the OP, read, research and make your own mind up rather than make a decision based on the assertion of some bloke on the internet.

1 Like

It comes to mind that we find a solution and then create the problem that it will solve. Just drive the thing and enjoy it!!!
:heart:

2 Likes

Believe the hype for V-Power: It will clean your engine.

But, Really?
Even if it never sees the inlet side of the inlet valves?
Are V-Power exhaust fumes also cleansing?
I don’t think so.

I’m waiting to see how long it is before my Mazda3 clogs up on its usual ten to fifteen minute local trips.

We did four sustained motorway trips very recently with fresh new V-Power, 46mpg each tankful with a headwind in each direction! By the end of this it felt like it was going a lot better than before.

Maybe it had managed to heat the valves enough for long enough to burn out all the soot built up after the very short local trips done in the previous two years of mostly lockdown. Hmm…

If you think it’s an issue make your own, it’s not difficult.
£75 will probably buy you a catch tank, pipe, clips, jointers etc. I think it’s ILM who have just taken off-the-shelf items and stuck their stickers on them.
If it’s anything like the NC getting to the crankcase breather will be the hard part and you’d need to be a pretty good DIYer to tackle that.

Don’t forget you’ve still got EGR going through there so will have to disable that too if you want to stop all the unwanted filth going through the intake…

Ah, but, with V-Power we all know it is clean unwanted filth.
Hmmm…

1 Like

I been running one on my ND2 2.0 for the last two years from two different positions the first with no mist or vapour not a drop of oil to the can or down the pip lines …how ever on the second position I have had a little oil but mainly vapour to the tank in the last 1200 miles but nothing to worry about …in-fact come the next service I will be removing it …

Up dated view of the engine bay 08~02~2023

the can is mounted top right of picture
:wink:

1 Like

Judging from the amount of carbon found on the crown of No 4 piston on my ND after only 15K miles I think that having an additional oil catch can could be worth having. Did you remove your catch can and if so do you still have it? If you don’t still have it what make did you buy?

Many thanks.

Well hi I had the catch tank on and its still fitted now 3 years its done little than catch vapours and around 3 table spoons of oil in all of that time but I just left in its not harming any thing the tank is 500mm capacity from ……

viperperformance.com

If it were me doing this again I would not bother I am sure Rodger’s would possibly agree …

Ok. Thanks very much.