Oil change service

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC PRHT
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: oil service

Hi team

My car is due a 9 year service, oil and air filter and oil change. I plan on doing it myself to save a few quid, I’ve done several on my MGTF so relatively confident but wanted to reach out for some MX5 specific pointers.

Best oil to use?
Is 5 litres enough when changing the filter as well?
Are the filters difficult to remove on these?
Should I raise the car to drain the oil?
How do I go about resetting the service indicator, ODB reader?

Thanks in advance :smiling_face:

5w 30 synthetic oil, I use Mobil super 3000 FE
5 litres is plenty for the change, about 4.6litres required.
The drain plug is sort of over to the OS of the engine and that side needs to be raised to get at it.
Oil filter is a bit of a pig to get to if you haven’t got a ramp (YouTube video will help if you search) I get the NS front up in the air, axle stand for support and grovel under their. You’ll probably get oil down your arm and all over the cross member that it hides behind.:grin:
The NC doesn’t have a service indicator reset.

2 Likes

Thanks @MickAP you are a true gem!

I you’ve got them you are best to use ramps rather rather than jacking up the car. I just push it off the ramps before I fill it with oil… As Mick says, filter a bit awkward to get to. I have a strap wrench that fits on a 1/2 inch drive and I use that with a short extension. Any reasonable 5w 30 synthetic oil is ok as long as it mentions Ford in it’s spec. I use this as they are local to me and their oils seem good.

1 Like

As Mick says the Oil Filter is a bit of a pig to get to but if you remove the large access panel mounted to the sub frame it does give a bit more room. To avoid oil running down your arm and all over the subframe and floor then either use large plastic bag or cut the bottom off a 2L milk container. Then having loosened the filter a bit hold the bag or the container under the filter and unscrew allowing any oil to fall into the bag or the container, The bag can then be secured with the filter inside for disposal at your local Council re-cycling facility.

1 Like

Just watch out for the hydraulic clutch pipe by the filter as not to catch and damage it too. :+1:

1 Like