Oil filter removal tool - Mk 4 - 2017 - 160 PS

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2017 Mk 4 160 PS Sport Nav
  2. I’m based near: Lytham St Annes
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: tool to remove oil filter. I did manage to remove the old one today but with great difficulty. I did not want to do the old-fashioned demolition method with a screwdriver so I tried a tool which is designed to grip the filter from below when fitted to a 1/2-inch drive ratchet. This would have worked well had it fitted … but I was using a genuine Mazda filter and its diameter was too small for the tool. So I tried a strap wrench and tore it apart - the filter was on so tight. I bough a chain wrench which did the job but it was a pig to use and didn’t really fit. There is very little space and as I have to do the work with the car on blocks I need a tool which just works. Ideally I need one which grips the filter from below. Any recommendations.

This is my first post having had the car only a few days. Many thanks for any help.

This Sykes-Picavant tool works for me.

Welcome!

I have a workshop manual bookmarked for when I stumble into issues just like this!
As you first attempted, the workshop manual suggests a ‘commercially available cup-type oil filter wrench’…

And it does look like the only method to grip it from the bottom too.

Not sure what size the one you have measures to, the workshop manual states 67 mm {2.6 in} diameter, 14 sided, hope that helps :slight_smile:

I have this one for my NC filter, does the job but I’d recommend the one that closes down onto smaller filters. It does motorbike filters, Machine Mart do both sizes, works well.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/filter-removal-tool-mk1-25-mk4-p-3324.html

Thanks everyone - the mx5parts.co.uk is what I need. I bought my filter & oil from them …if only I’d known in advance.

Worth noting - their genuine Mazda oil filter S17336 does NOT come with a new sump washer so remember to order one (o/d 20mm, i/d 14 mm).

1 Like

Hi Miata 1 I’ve not had to change an oil filter for a while though I used to do all my vehicle maintenance. Have you ever tried the leather belt method? Feed the belt through the buckle then place it round the filter, take up the slack then with the buckle on the left, pull against the buckle in an anticlockwise direct. Always worked for me.

Paul.

1 Like

Interesting, could be applied to all sorts of situations to grip and twist, even jar lids :slight_smile:

I have one of those three-pronged tools and can never get it to work.
Luckily we sell a cup kit at work, so I took advantage of my staff discount and bought one.
OK it has a dozen cups and I only need one, but i’ve no doubt it will come in handy long after I’ve gone.

Oh wait, electric cars won’t have oil filters… bu99er.

3 Likes

I was having trouble with getting the plastic cap off a 4 pint of milk this morning, the container started to crumple.

Does it go down so small?:grimacing::thinking:

We did have a lid loosener somewhere, can you find it when needed?:grimacing:

1 Like

It’ll be in the garage smeared with used engine oil.

3 Likes

A lot of EVs have gearbox oil that needs changing and maybe a filter, so hang on to it, might be useful!

Correction, the buckle needs to be on the right of the loose end of the belt, then pull the belt in the direction to unscrew as if you were tightening the belt.
Another good tip is the smear some new oil on the filter rubber seal. You get a better seal as it’s easier to tighten, and makes it easier to remove.

Paul.

Quite! I have a Bergen 3034 which seems better than the ‘3 finger’ type. It has jaws with serrations that tighten and grip the filter casing. Used to be available from Amazon, but not right now. I found this though:

I’m sure other retailers are available…

JS

Looks pretty robust

Thanks, Ian. It’s good of you to share the link to the official workshop manual. I spent hours looking online for it. In the owner’s manual to my 2017 RF there isn’t even a maintenance schedule, and there isn’t on the Mazda app either. The premise all the time seems to be ‘go to a dealer.’ As far as I can tell this is a UK-specific thing … it seems that a maintenance schedule is provided in other countries.

Many (too many…) years ago I read a recommended technique for removing an oil filter was to hammer a 6-inch nail through it then turn it by the protruding nail shaft.

The last filter I changed was on a Nissan Serena and I used a chain wrench to grip and twist it.

There is an online owners manual too!
That also includes the service schedule (found under ‘maintenance’) :smiley:

PS. Introduce yourself in the New Forum Member Welcome Area, as you can see from all the responses above we are a friendly bunch. I am just down the road fro you in Manchester and also have an 2017 ND1

Thanks, Ian - will do. Yes - very happy with the enthusiastic and helpful responses.

The online manual is good isn’t it.

It has a full table of all the items due at mileage or age.

Also in the Specifications section all the fluid specs are there oil, coolant, gearbox and diff.

2 Likes