Oil transfer pump and crush washer questions

Hi all
Recommendations please… I need an oil transfer mini pump as I am doing a gearbox oil change… There are so many out there…
Also, I need a crush washer for the gearbox drain plug… Best place for one of these?

Thanks…

Personally speaking…

Lidl oil transfer pump for £15 works fine. Comes with all the hoses etc. Don’t over think it, get a cheapy you can through away and replace if it gets dirty as you don’t want to be pumping grit into the box.

Washers, get a kit of copper washers off ebay or amazon. Cost about a tenner for a lifetime supply.

I got a Silverline one off Amazon intended for outboards but did the job in no time at a cheap price.

The washers for the ND are ‘alloy’ not ‘copper’. Is there a reason? Does it matter?
I purchased from here Beal UK - Workshop Supplies & Automotive Consumables They were so cheap I got some of each, no idea why but now I can use my favourite saying------“it’s in stock”.
:heart:

2 Likes

NC.
In my opinion it does matter whether you use copper or aluminium.
Alloy crush/seal washers for drain plug/refill. Alloy less torque to seal and thus you won’t over tighten. Copper (which will be a copper alloy) due to the material nature needs more torque to seal properly. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Also copper hardens with age and/or work.

It is only soft enough for some jobs after being annealed. Easy enough with a gas hob.

When I did my bike repairs fifty years ago we needed to anneal the solid copper head gaskets and oil-banjo washers for any hope of them being leak-proof. Crush washers are a step better, but if copper still marginal if used where the alloy ones should be.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info. :+1:
I was out and about with my driver, (shoulder operation and sling for 6 weeks :roll_eyes:) so difficult on my phone. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like