OK, I give in! Rally gift question

I know I’ll kick myself when someone answers this but - how the heck do you open the ‘Rally gift’ tool set?

I’m sure it’s obvious - but not to me 

Hi,it stumped me for a while as well - but cracked it in the end - it opens from the back (opposite side to Donington 2016 logo)the end nearest to the light - flick open the white plastic section or use a very small screwdriver to lever it open - hope this helps!

I tried to prise open what I thought was a cover but that didn’t work - the cover is actually one half of the main body of the thing. Hold it at the ends and try to break it like a biscuit… :wink:

Ah! So easy when you know how.  

Just got a thumb nail in there and it popped open. 

The arrows on the clear sides gave a clue but I just didn’t get it. I thought the white part was all one piece (couldn’t see the join!) and was trying unsuccessfully to SLIDE the clear cover off towards the torch end! 

screwdriver to open it

hold right side lift the left

Same problem so the answer give it to a teenager to show you 

Yeah - I know that feeling!

It’s a light as well? I took it out the box, looked at it, and put it back again. I’ve got three mini tool sets now, all more or less useless.

As I said to my teenage daughter this evening, after she laughed at her mother trying to “FaceTime” her and having trouble with her phone:

“You might think she’s stupid, but not too long ago she had to teach you how to use a spoon!”

Very true, but we now live (or try to) with a new generation who think they know everything. Unfortunately when it comes to technology, they are generally ‘with it’ and it’s us trying to catch up. As far as life’s experience, they don’t want to know , they find out the hard way.

That isn’t based on supposition, it comes from raising a son myself. Others I speak to - my age and younger, say the same thing. From the age of fourteen, he was ‘king of the castle’, and I was the peasant standing outside. That he’s now forty, and commanding a better job and salary than I ever could, seems to confirm that situation.

He never read a manual, though he has read technical books, which I don’t understand (Geek speak) and he mastered the VCR long before I did. Most kids are like this from observation, in fact it’s a current ad on TV IIRC.

Sigh of resignation, I have no choice!

Ok, so it took me a few minutes to work it out too but I got there in the end at which point I discovered the next big question…once you put a tool bit into the extension piece how the hell do you get it back out again. Darn thing is magnetic and no amount of pulling etc will get the bit back out unless you get a pair of pliers and yank it out. Fingers are no good at all… ??

Err.  

It was difficult - but I did manage to extract the bit eventually 

I managed to get mine to work easily enough but the thought did occur to me that you needed a good set of tools to be able to use it!

Gerryn, yes, I have three adult sons, a teenage daughter and two grand children. When it comes to kids being up on technology…my youngest son, in his late twenties, rang me in a panic last week, early in the morning. He had just noticed that by playing with his mobile phone, his one year old son had just bought a £9000 car on Ebay. He managed to sort it out, so we can laugh about it now - but at the time my son didn’t find it very funny.

I managed it after nearly an hour

I used my teeth to extract the bit. Fortunately I still have my own teeth! 

I thought the gift was pretty good and beats the usual key fob or similar gift. Will I use it? Possibly not but I’ll pop it in the car anyway. You never know…

And yes, it took me a while to figure how to open it and even then I didn’t notice the hole to put the extension piece into. I was sitting there thinking what’s the point of this if you need a separate screwdriver body, before I finally made the connection. I think the club did this deliberately to keep the old farts occupied for an hour or two… 

Can’t remember which rally it was but some time ago I received what appeared to be a white christmas tree bauble with the club logo on it. Turned out there was a plastic mac inside it. Now that took a while to find. Come on admit it. How many of you have been hanging it on the tree for years without realising?

There’s no reason why the club needs to give us any type of gift at all

I’ve done 7 national and 3 spring rallies and am always grateful for whatever is given out , some gifts are better than others but I always hang onto everything along with the relevant plaque

I’ve had one of these for years so opening it was not a problem.

Hold it two fingers on top thumb on bottom at either end with both hands, move thumb & fingers on one had down or up hold the other steady.

Simples (when you know how)

[quote=Roadie]

Can’t remember which rally it was but some time ago I received what appeared to be a white christmas tree bauble with the club logo on it. 

Sandringham. 2013

I nearly threw mine away thinking it was faulty, silly boy!

Past rally gifts…
A wet cloth in a plastic tube, still unopened.
A blue OC micro fibre cloth, used.
A white bauble, still intact.
At least six more i can’t recall at the moment.
But the one i like the most was the blue and white anniversary medallion, now hanging off my rear view mirror. 

Club 20th Anniversary Keyring