OK, This could be big and I mean BIG!!

Hi All,
I live and work in Blandford Camp in Dorset and an opportunity to raise much need funds for Help for Heroes (providing support to our injured armed Forces) has arisen.

Blandford Camp has an unused airfield, next to that airfield there is a private military road that has been used by Motor clubs for Hill Climb speed trials since 1957 (approx 450m). The airstrip is 500m x 90m.

I am prepared to organise an MX5 meet on 20 Jun 09, and if there is sufficient interest this is what I am prepared to offer to raise money for Help for Heroes:

a. Hill Climb speed trial. This road has been used by several motor clubs and I may be able to get one of the clubs to come and run it for us.

b. Large area for Tech day. Half the airstrip could be used for a tech day and parking (250m x 45m), the bottom area of the airstrip is hardcored and would be ideal for this.

c. Large area for manouvering trial. The top area of the airstrip is tarmac and could be used for a manouvering competition.

d. Drinks stand selling hot and cold drinks, chocolate etc.

e. Food stand selling Gurkha Bhat (Nepalese curry), burgers and hotdogs etc.

f. MX5 Parts suppliers /MX5 Organisations. The event will be open to parts suppliers and MX5 organisations for a very small fee (for the charity) please pm me for details.

g. There will be prizes for the hill climb and the manouvering competition.

The event would be a full day and I can provide information on B&B's and camp sites for those who need it

So, how much will this cost? Well, as this will be classed as a charity event on a military establishment, the only expenditure will be £100 for the licence to hold the event and the cost of a few portalooes, so, depending on numbers, I would propose an entry fee of £10 to £15 per car, this will include the Hill climb speed trial and the manouvering competition, all profit will go to the Help for Heroes Charity.

I am prepared to organise this but I would obviously need a little assistance on the day!

I will be putting this onto all other MX5 Forums and hopefully there will be a big take up, it has the potential to be a great day. The image below shows the ground and the potential, whilst I have organised many large events I would be grateful of any advice from Administrators and forum members to make this an event to remember.

So, what do you need to do? Make comment below and PM me if you are interested, once I have sufficient numbers I will let you know and start to plan the event. Let me know what you think................
Regards,
Barry

Sounds as though it could be a bloody good day, that (especially the Gurkha Bhat!). Pity it’s at the other end of the country to me. Might be an excuse for a good long run in the '5, though …

Out of interest, why have you blanked off the areas to the west of the airfield on your aerial photo? Looking on Google Earth, it appears to be just a few terraces of houses, parked cars, etc. - nothing special or ‘sensitive’!

Hi Garath, pm sent…

I will knock up a quick website that will contain all information for the event, I will try to include some vid of the hill climb, watch this space…
Barry

Bit of an update, Tony at Wheels in Motion (WIM) has said that provided we get the numbers attending he would send one of his technical crew (Mark) along to give advice on steering, suspension and wheel alignment geometry.  Big thanks to WIM  [Y]

I have also contacted several other ‘mx5 parts and bits’ suppliers to see if they would like a stand at the event, more to follow…
Barry

Hi Barry

Get to take my 5 out for a day or two, and help the injured guys and girls of the armed forces[Y]sounds good to me, I’m interested put me on your list please.

Cheers Grumps…

Barry

What ever you do don’t mention this to the 15/20 team [;)]

15/20 Team??  You have lost me there

Barry

15/20 forum 

Baz,

In the forces myself, count me in.

Best of luck in advertising the event, have you tried the other 5 forums?

If I can help let me know, I’m currently attached to the RAF at Henlow so may be able to advertise through their side too.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks mate, I have advertised this onplanet mx5, mx5nutz and this one, the website for the event is nearly done, there seems to be alot of interest, anything you can do to advetise the event would be great, look forward to meeting you om the day…

Barry

Sounds like a lot of fun, and I’d love to come, but sadly I’m supposed to be at a wedding that day… I seem to get a lot of collisions between this club and my social life.  :-

Still, if they change their mind and decide they actually don’t like each other as much as they thought, I’ll be there!

Re 15/20 club…

Surely no-one is going to mind another event that promotes friendship amongst the club whilst doing a bit for H4H’s?

I would hope not, I’m very happy to work with 15/20 club for this event, in fact I need some help to form a committee to run the day so would welcome their support.

Barry

NO!!! not a comittee again… and I was so looking forward to this event![:#]

Dont worry, I will make sure that this committee does NOT spoil your fun!  But to make the day a success it does need to be planned.

Barry

Send an email to mino.manekshaw at mx5oc.co.uk  He is the team leader for the Clubs 15 20 anniversary celebrations… Worth seeing if you can work together, and at least make sure nothing clashes,  the Club is going to be raising money for HFH with our 15 20 car travelling around the UK so the more publicity the merrier… [:D]

Now last time I heard about someone organising a big event through a car club forum with a motor racing element on MOD property they got on fine until someone mentioned formalities like Public Liability Insurance,etc, etc,  at which point that had to get a professional track day company into run that side of it who could underwrite the risk.  Bear that sort of thing in mind, don’t get too far down the road then find there is a whole load of red tape that needs sorting…

Keep us posted, sounds like fun… [Y]

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comments.  I’m sure that the 15/20 club will contact me if they want to take part in this event.  Your concerns regarding licences, permits and public liability on MOD property is justified, that is why I am liaising with Defence Estates, local and national motor clubs to ensure the event is appropriately run in accordance with the latest regulations, whilst at the same time ensuring those attending, and supporting the event have ‘fun’.

Are you vollunteering to help with the event?

Regards,

Barry