Opening doors when car is covered in ice

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ 1.5 ND2 20 plate
  2. I’m based near: __Brecon
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Ice…

Hi all. My car lives outside and is my daily driver. This morning when I went out, to go to work, the car was covered in ice. Onviously I had to get in the car and opening the door causes the window to drop. If the windows are frozen, will it still drop? Will it damage anything such as motors etc… and if its frozen in place and i open the door, will it cause damage to the roof? Sorry, im clueless :see_no_evil:

Had same issues a few year back with my E46 M3 coupe.

It was awful at times, even though I’d scrape as much ice away around window edge , at times window refused to drop.
On opening door you could see the window bend and flex :see_no_evil: scary days :rofl:
Keep de-icer in boot !

Make sure that the rubber door seal is kept well lubricated with Gummi-Pflege or a silicone lubricant. That should stop the window glass from sticking to it in freezing weather.

1 Like

Or you could use a top cover, keeps all the windows clear too

As said already by Philip, all you need is some Gummi-Pflege and and apply to the door/window rubbers. With the product applied they’ll remain supple. I’ve also used it in Alpine and Canadian winters with no issue.

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-7182-Rubber-Care-75-ml/dp/B00CSYM1K8

I’ve used this on cars for nearly 30yrs, when I saw this exact issue with an E36 BMW 3-Series which had frameless doors. Before using this product I’d need to keep a small metal ruler on-hand to run around the door frame to get it to open!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I’ll buy some today. Just one other question about the roof cover… would it freeze to the roof overnight?

Quite possibly, if there was any moisture present underneath the cover. Another reason I’m not a fan of outdoor car covers…