Order of mods to take to go from Stock to Fun Track car

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK2.5 FL
  2. I’m based near: Warwick/Leamington
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Steps people recommend to take to tracking their car.

Hello everyone, am new here and wanted to know from people’s experiences of fitting upgrades/lessons learnt what order to perform upgrades to slowly get a stock car to perform better on single track days.

My car is stock with big brakes, 6 speed 1.8L LSD.

The first thing I got done was full wheel alignment at Wheels In Motion and the car feels more planted on road and was predictable at the track.

What I learned from my first evening trackday at Donnington was I was being tossed around all over the place and where the car could be better was on the brakes, it felt like a lottery on where it would stop.

With that in mind I am thinking of changing the fluid to ATE super blue. Not sure about braided lines just yet.

Also thinking of getting some 15" rims and putting some tyres on that are better suited to track.

Would appreciate people’s advice on which order to do things in as the biggest problem is not knowing/experiencing how much benefit it brings without making the changes so hoping to learn from other’s experience (obvious I know).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Everyone who does trackdays will have an opinion…my advise is go to a Mazda-on-track event before spending your hard earned £££ and see/speak to likeminded people with similar cars and see where you NEED to spend money and where you would wast £££

Agreed Rodders, I was hoping to save even more cash by doing it virtually here first :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It would be interesting to be a passenger in cars with relevant upgrades, though may not get full benefit of any driver feedback like “brake feel improvement”.

Will take a look.

The car should not be lacking in the brake department and so rather than thinking of upgrades it would be more of a getting working properly. I would have a good look at your brakes and service or replace what is not working properly.

Mazda on track/OC have dates at Blyton the beginning of July iirc

Definitely agree with Nick, there. The big brakes you have are a popular upgrade for many, though it’s also true there are plenty who spend a small fortune getting other kits. Getting what you have into good condition will definitely pay dividends for a comparatively small outlay.