Organising a drive .. any do’s and don’ts?

Hi,
I’m contemplating organising a Sunday run out in my area. But appreciate that there must be people here who have done it regularly and have maybe a checklist or tips on what to do, not do etc.

Some immediate things spring to mind.

Legal responsibilities ?
Max number of cars ?
Best way to give out a route ?

Etc.

Thank you …

The Club main documentation on this is in the process of being amended so I’ve linked this (below) which is posted on the Peaks & Pennines area, however wherever hosted the points are pertinent.

Summary from my own perspective.

• Make sure everyone knows the destination and the general planned route. You can do this by sharing mapping tool itineraries (google maps etc) by mail or printing out and giving to people.

• Have break/catch up points that everyone knows so you can regroup if necessary.

• Always try and keep the car behind in view.

• Be courteous to other road users.

• Drive to the pace of the slowest driver and never exceed posted limits.

2 Likes

Thanks Ian ! All good advice as far as I can see. :ok_hand:

one point often neglected.

If the route is roughly circular, go anti-clockwise. Right turns break up a group more than left turns.

Make sure the drive is approved by your ac and posted on the club calendar so it’s covered by the club insurance.

3 Likes

Also make sure to speak with the Area coordinator so they can plan it in, add to the local calendar and help promote to members.

1 Like

Note
Route Authorisation - Motorsport UK - The beating heart of UK motorsport

It may be worth noting the above - the wording here is ambiguous as it refers to “any motoring event utilising the Public Highway

Other clubs I have been involved with, and indeed a regional IAM group, have taken a far more draconian interpretation…and required “authorisation” from a club official!

There’s no sporting or competitive element so ‘touring assembly’ is probably more relevant:

“A touring assembly is a non-competitive road event which is designed for people to enjoy the company of other like-minded souls and their (sometimes historic) cars. Scenic tours take you to attractive parts of the country for a drive through the country. There is enough time to view the scenery, and see all those stunning views that rally crews miss. Route finding is generally easy; a road book of directions may be provided. Enjoy the company of other enthusiasts at the refreshment halts, and at start and finish venues. A competition licence is not required. There is no competition: normal road cars and normal insurance is usually sufficient.”

That is my understanding but I know of occurrences where a ‘treasure hunt’ was deemed a competitive event…

Off topic slightly but I know of underwriters who refuse cover for parade laps at events like Donnington Historic or Silverstone Festival…as they were deemed track day events.

No matter it would seem to not apply to MX5 drive outs.

The Club is not a member of UK Motorsport, as membership also brings certain restrictions applying to drives and events, which as you outline brings with it some difficult interpretation and needs.

As Ian eludes to, Touring Assembly is the correct term / definition for the Club’s drives.
Area coordinators are guided that arranged activities are updated to a central Club calendar, to ensure that in the event of any incident, participants, organisers, coordinators and Club are provided for under the Club’s activity public liability cover, which helps ensure that individuals organising Club activity are covered, it’s a part of membership benefit. Events not appearing here will expose any organiser to maximum personal risks associated with Public activity.

2 Likes

you are correct, live track space is usually excluded from cover - we go to great lengths to define any on-track parade activity expected in the year ahead and ensure that any planned events are listed in the schedule, as well as outlining the Club’s activity planned at track venues. Cover at these events extends to the defined public area of circuits, but not to the live track area (those areas are uninsurable on pretty much all public policy) members are guided to take specific track day policy for more vigorous days or accept and waiver the personal risks associated with track activity.

2 Likes

Have done plenty of these on motorcycles and just to add my experience in addition to everything already contributed.

Its best to have many smaller groups but if you plan to have a large group:
The first and last car/bike need to know the route and be easily identifiable.
Whenever in a junction or crossing the car/bike behind the leading car stops to show the way and joins in front of the last car/bike.

Appreciate its far easier to do with motorcycles because they take far less space on the road but in some cases depending on the route you could use this system…

Cb radios would be a nice thing especially on longer trips as leaders can pass down information regarding what lies ahead on the road

Having organised local treasure hunts and touring assemblies for a local motorsports club and helped organised a completely add hoc non club MX-5 Lands End to John O’Groats tour I’d recommend being not being too ambitious with the number of participants, maybe start with half a dozen to build some solid experience and do not be too ambitious with the route, 20 - 25 miles for a first event is probably a good starting point, avoiding main roads where possible generally makes for a more inreresting touring assembley. Finishing at a good pub with food is always very popular.

Personally I like to firm up the route and route notes a month in advance and then check the route against the route notes about a week in advance and if there are no changes, road works and diversions can suddenly appear seemingly out of nowhere, only then print copies off. If you are giving written notes with distances start with your trip meter at zero and advise participants their zeroed trip meters may not read absolutely identical distances.

Initially there is loads to learn, there after you will learn something new with every trip. Keeping yon area co ordinators upto speed from the very start is always worth while to get yon event in the local group diary and ensuring you have a good attendance.

Most important have fun organising the whole thing,

1 Like

I 5un a facebook g4oup tor logers of the True Red Nc. I’ve organised around 10 weekends away for our group and I’ve also done the route plans for over 30 cars+ cars on the 4un outs. The things that you need to th8nk about are:

1. How many cars you expect to join in.
  2. Gauge the interest before you do any work.
  3. Offer alternative dates with a poll on fb.
  4. Do a provisional route-plan on Google Maps.
  5. Try to do a circular route, rather than to 1 specific place.
  6. Find places to stop along the route for tea & toilet breaks.
  7. Find suitable car parking whever you plan to stop.
  8. If possible, do a dry run yourself to iron out any problems like road closures.
  9. Plan as well ahead.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Fred S
2 Likes

Hello all,

I want to create topics and or events on the forum, but I am unable to do so, can anyone advise?
I was wondering if anyone else was planning to ho to the british motor show this week or autoalex shedfest on the August bank holiday and maybe plan a run there?

On the right hand side of the main index page of the forum under your avatar is a
" + New Topic " Button.

hth

Hello, as noted above in this thread please liaise with your area coordinator so that any event is logged in the club diary/event system and therefore comes within the club liability insurance.

Normally you can’t create a new topic at the root of a category, you need to select the specific sub category.