Our MX5 ND plus daily driver

The MX-5 does 0-60 in 8s, the Golf R 4.5s, but the MX-5 is by far the most fun to drive! Just goes to prove numbers aren’t everything…

9 Likes

Like you Martin I have driven fast Fords , VWs etc , yes some were wickedly quick , but none gave me as much enjoyment on a winding B road on a sunny day .

1 Like

Yep the MX-5 is a much better package.
Not too expensive
Not too flashy
Easy and cheap to repair
Reasonably fast
Involving to drive.

1 Like

The MX-5 is in a class of one, where as the Golf R is just one of many very fast and competent hot hatchbacks…! I prefer the soul of the MX-5 to the practicality and impressive numbers of the Golf…!
Here speaks the single man…! :rofl:

2 Likes

I agree, thing is I share our daily with the misses and as she has worsening rheumatoid arthritis I agreed to sell our manual Focus ST (which was remapped and rather fun) and get an automatic GTi. She loved it, I found it dead boring, so after 8 months we traded it in for a new R, she loves that too, I still find it boring, so unless we need to pick our son and his girlfriend up from the airport when they visit, or the weather is bad, the golf is officially hers!

1 Like

This reminds me of the Mini Cooper S I sometimes get to drive at work. Fast, capable, but feeling just like another jumped up shopping trolley.

1 Like

I swapped my Golf GTi daily driver for a new ND and it is just soooooo much nicer. I had an NA as a second car, but having 2 cars was a pain.

I now take the long way round to work - there and back! The Golf was a great car, but as you say, was a bit dull, unless you relish the fact that it is so competent.

Now when my wife says she is just going to McD’s for some rubbish for the kids, I beat her too it, just to go for a drive! As a 2.0 it also goes as well as you need…

1 Like

Indeed, I think the fact it’s so ‘competent’ is the precise problem. I told the VW dealer the GTi was a bit dull, the Focus ST had a bit of torque steer, he said ‘yes golfs don’t have that cos we design them properly’, I told him that may technically be the case but a bit of torque steer gave the car character and made it more fun to drive!

1 Like