P&P Flint Mill Run Sunday June 4th

Hi Burton. Put my name on the list please. Tks,Dave

Hello,

I live only a short distance from the flint mill and help run a charity boat that normally takes disadvantaged children on the canal adjacent to the mill. If there are enough takers I may be able to offer a short trip on the canal (about an hour) through some locks, turn and return.

The boat can accommodate 12 people and as a charity we would need to make a small charge which I will confirm soon.

The charity has a website - www.beatricecharity.org. I will have to confirm that the boat is available which I should be able to do within a couple of days plus any other details.

Thanks for making contact Terry, that sounds really good, I will mention it to the members on Thursday night at our monthly social meeting.

I am sure at least 12 people will be interested, would two trips be possible?

Me again,

I have cleared this with the charity chairman but have a couple of hurdles to overcome yet. One being the need for a crew to assist with running the boat and working the locks, I am qualified to helm it. I will work on this and try to let you know by Thursday PM.

Two trips will be possible but all timings are very flexible. Canals are much like motorways - once you are on them there are only certain places that a boat can turn. Also depending on traffic, moving through the locks can go very smoothly or take a long time. Canal travel is never going to be a rapid means of transport. The next turning place (winding hole) would be about another one hour further along the canal - so two hours extra on the journey.

Going the other way along the canal would take nearly three hours as the winding holes are few and far between.

For the one hour approx. trip the chairman has asked for £5 per head. Both myself and the crew member if one is available are volunteers so receive no payment therefore all of these funds are used to run the boat during weekdays for the children and other causes.

Any questions please ask.

Terry

I can confirm that I have now been able to arrange a crew member for the 4th so this can go ahead as far as we are concerned.

Terry

I can confirm that I have now been able to arrange a crew member for the 4th so this can go ahead as far as we are concerned.

Terry

Hi Terry

So far there are 15 cars booked on the run. with 12 members wanting  to go on the boat trip, I will put a mass mailing out shortly to see if other members are interested

Hello,

That sounds good so I can confirm with my crew (Janet)that we will have at least one trip.

Can you let me know about what time you will be at the flint mill as we need a little time to prepare the boat prior to the run.

Usual practice is for our passengers to assist with operating the locks if they wish. This is not compulsory however.

The boat has an enclosed cabin should the weather be unkind plus an open foredeck if dry.

sorry burton, cant, cant make it today. wife ill and with start point being an hour away and end even further its too long to be out. 

how about a run starting nearer us northern members one day?

Gill and I had a great drive out with you all today, thank you for welcoming us into the group.

Here’s the drone video I took…  Watch it in 1080p Cool

https://youtu.be/3__KVVuVPV4

Sorry you could not join us today, it was a good run and the rain held off until we set off for home.

Starting a run or two further north is nt a problem, can you recommend a suitable  venue, an easy to find pub with a large car park doing value for money breakfasts would be ideal.

Glad you enjoyed todays run, the video is brilliant, thank you

I’m still relatively new to the area so will have to do some home work but there are plenty good roads up here for certain and no one would object to quick raid into Yorkshire Ridings territory. Let’s have a chat at Bruntingthorpe next weekend as I would like to be more involved than I have been todate

Ok, great, but I’m still relatively new to the area so I will have to have a scout about - how far North are you comfortable with for a start point ? There are some great roads up here if you don’t mind a raid on Yorkshire Riding’s territory !

I’ll have a chat with you at Bruntingthorpe next weekend - I’d like to get more involved in the club than I have been to date