Parts delays

I have just bought a mx5 mk3.5 2013 with 34k miles. 2 days after purchase I hear the diff start screaming. Long story short it needs replacing. The cars had great service history on the engine just never had the diff oil changed.

Very luckily for me the dealer I bought it from has said they will pay for the repair £1800 plus vat!!!

Ive been told there are no new diffs available in the uk and I will have to wait 2-3 weeks for the new part to arrive.

Whats the crack these days with parts? I mean where are they coming from? Surely its still not a covid thing? We are now in 2024.

Any knowledge on this topic welcome!

P.s I was offered a re conditioned one but this will take 2 weeks at least so opted for brand new.

Unfortunately it is the way of the world now.

Dealers seem to work on an order to demand system now rather than keeping stock.

With something like a rear diff - it could sit on the shelf for years without being needed.

1 Like

Are these things made to order?

Things are going backwards. A certain event caused a lot of companies and industries to re-evaluate - some are now choosing to restructure, slowing production or restricting availability with many using the ‘new normal’ to increase profits and reduce the workforce. I work for one such company that will remain unnamed.

2 Likes

Agreed.

lol yes, and add Ukraine, Israel and Brexit too

1 Like

Worrying times. Second car may be needed just for the times where we are waiting on parts to arrive. :triumph:

Bit out of left field but would they not consider supplying an aftermarket lsd and having it fitted on the original pumpkin? You could probably get a nice quaife and some bearings and seals installed for less than 1800…

1 Like

Sounds amazing but I don’t think they would go for it. Its a proper dealership. I my self am not concerned about the price as its been covered by the dealer. The other option they gave was to use a reconditioned unit but at £1500 and 2-6 week wait seemed silly not to
Opt for new OEM.

I didn’t even realise they still made parts for anything older than the ND.

I know at 34 years old my NA is buggered when it comes to spanking new OEM, but honestly, I didn’t think a 2008 car would still have parts being manufactured.

You’re off to a winner there… milk the hell out of it.

1 Like

The one I have just got is 2013 but they use the same diff I am pretty sure. These guys are looking after me so far. Bit gutted getting the nicest car for it to have something so major go wrong 2 days after. In the end of the day I could get a full re fund but they would then be left with a car thats noisy and no sale. Just for once the dealership has lost out not the customer. A very rare thing indeed!

1 Like

I currently have lash on my NA. It’s either the diff, which is on its way out, or my gearbox is knackered at the prop shaft.

I’m sure you can tell which is the one I’d much rather it be. Especially when I’ve already adjusted the PPF by the book.

Unfortunately, NA parts from my experience so far are hard to come by that don’t have the risk of a similar issue and are almost always reconditioned, never new.

I’m facing the choice of a MK2 diff for the ease of having it easily sourced. Apparently they are sturdier than the MK1 diffs. Considering my car already has MK2 seat and anti-roll bracing, it’s not going to be long until I have a Mk1(and a half) :person_facepalming:

You’ll be fine with your NC. It’s my least favourite of the four generations, but I can’t deny that if done well and looked after, they are a trusty example of a hella fun car

1 Like

I admire your dedication. Thank you I do hope she will be as reliable as my previous mk3. :pray:t2:

1 Like

Frustrating as the wait is I think I’d wait for the genuine part.

1 Like

Nail on the head mate. Its gonna be a long wait. My curtesy car is a Dacia sandero. Its bloody horrific!!!
Will make me appreciate the mx5 even more.

Oh I see. Sorry, didn’t realise you’d got it from mazda :+1:.

1 Like

It’s surprising that even in 2024, parts delays are still a thing. You’d think we’d have sorted that out by now. Hopefully, the wait for the new part won’t be too long! By the way, I saw an interesting story related to this topic on. Link Deleted

Wonder what was on that link then…

Nothing that id be happy to enter my details on thats for sure :rofl: