Past owners and what is a Nardi package?

Just purchased this… 1.8 S-VT Sport 6- sports interior with wooden Nardi package. But with NO service history… One of the previous owners was in the MX5 owners club. Would love to learn a little bit more about is history… AND what is a Nardi package…!

image|375x500

Steering wheel and gearknob isn’t it?

1 Like

As above, (curious) it’s an Italian company based in Torino that make steering wheels and gear knobs.:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

A couple of thoughts
i) G prefix is Kent and Mazda UK was/is based in Kent - if you look at road tests of the time all the MX5s are G prefix. The MoT history might give you an insight as to where it has been.
ii) I could not find a “Nardi package” in the 2003 and 2004 car or options/accesories brochures , but there were wood gear knobs with a Nardi badge, handbrake grips and door tweeter trims as individual items. The October 1999 brochure i.e. the for last of the Pre-facelift NB, there is an accessory “Wood Trim Kit Gear Knob & Parking Brake Grip” and the gear knob appears to have a Nardi badge on it. I infer from those bits of info. that wood trim was on its way out early on in the NB-FL and either the dealer or Mazda UK fitted these parts to make the car more interesting, and to use up stocks before 2004 models came in!

Either way it looks a nice car and the factory wood trim might have a marginal rarity value if it has the Nardi badge on the gearknob…I prefer the leather as it is grippier.

Mine is a 53 plate 1.8 Sport which I bought new in Derby in November 2003 at a price that was a less than my local dealer was offering a standard 1.8i (2004 models were on the way with a revised interior, there would not have been many buyers of a convertible sports car in December so a 2003 car would have had to be discounted more to shift it in 2004). As the Sport had all the goodies as standard: Nardi leather steering wheel, leather seats, CD player, Sports suspension with Limited Slip Diff. +16 inch wheels and of course the chrome-finish filler cap, it was too good to miss. It has served me well in the intervening 18 years, I’ve had both sills repaired at the rear - I had not cleaned out the drain tubes properly) but the front chassis rails are still solid and it has all be cavity waxed. Apart from a few scratches the Sunlight Silver paint is still looking good…and it goes very well when it has an opportunity. All that extra chassis cross-bracing in theory makes it stiffer and whilst the 6 speed box can require double declutching first to second when cold, the higher gearing in 6th makes for relaxed cruising.