Paul's Rotary Mx-5 NC

Afternoon all, 

Just starting a build thread showing progress with my MX-5 NC 20th anniversary. 

I’ve bought a RX-8 for cheap which I’m stripping for the engine and a few other bits.

What’s the best way to upload photos now photobucket has gone? 

How many turbos are you intending to fit? That would make it interesting.

Hi Paul, this is the one I used? After years of photobucket use, this is easy to do. Remember to resize your images though to 640x480 IIRC so they don’t appear distorted?

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst103907_Uploading-images-guide.aspx

Barrie

Get yourself a bottle of wine/scotch/gin whatever and a big popcorn and settle down for a great read. The author is a mate of mine from Brisbane

http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=30796&sid=f9bff39aa432470c5b527301c2868561

I did read that on another site which gave me inspiration. He didn’t finish it from memory

Well it’s up and running and goes like stink.

I’ll work out how to post up photos later

Hello Geoff

I did not have any success in viewing the website, probably I missed a digit or two!

Not to be defeated I tried to register on the mx5cartalk.com - Index page to view the article,

plus it would be interesting to see what is happening down under MX5 wise.

Unfortunately the questions to prove I was/am human were Aussie questions.

Not even a question on Neighbours, my wife would have probably have known the answer.

Is there any way you can help be register?

Regards

Keith

Just messing with the supplied link, I can view this thread on the MX5 Car Talk forum. I think that is the one Geoff was referring to.

That thread (and the car) is a beast; dunno about a drink, suggest you prepare a packed lunch and a flask!  

Hello jingars

Very many thanks indeed, worked a treat.

Regards

Keith

Looking forward to seeing this! Don’t think I’ve seen an NC with RX-8 engine fitted yet so will be interesting! The engine should sit quite low in the bay I think? That would be great for even better weight balance. Did see a photo of a MK1 with the rotary fitted, but not seen one in the flesh (metal yet). Will the engine being a 1.3 affect the road tax for the car?

For image hosting, You could join my forum for modern classic cars at https://futureclassiccars.uk and start a topic there. You can upload your photos straight into your project thread there (you actually get a web page of your own as opposed to just a forum topic) and then can simply right click and copy any post you make including the images and paste them into your post here. That’s what I do as it saves having to retype the same posts over and over for different forums.

Hope this helps and looking forward to this build mate!

Has your rotary engine been overhauled? RX-8s are often sold very cheap because their engines suffer from weak rotor seals which don’t last as long as they really ought and cost a lot to rebuild (a legacy of the ill-fated NSU RO-80’s rotary engine, which suffered from very poor reliability).

Having said that, rotaries are great engines when they work properly. I also love the styling of the RX-8 and I have considered going the opposite route i.e. buying a low mileage one with a bad engine and fitting a different, more traditional engine to it.

Now that would also be an interesting project!!! Don’t think I’ve seen any rx7’s with engine swaps, although not been a car I’ve follwed tbh. Do however love the style of them but was always put off by the rotary engine requiring frequent rebuilds.

Yes hayward rotary rebuilt it. Would of done it myself but didn’t want to chance wrecking the iron porting it. 

A lot of the rx8 pub talk is myth, yes they suffer failures but mostly down to put maintenence. Carl who rebuilt my engine is on 130k miles with no rebuild and he puts it purely down to proper maintenance and using 10w40 oil. 

You can swap a 2.0 mx5 engine straight in pretty much. Swap front subframe with engine /gearbox and work out wiring/fabricate exhaust 

Is there any way of hosting images on here? 

Try looking here:- 

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst110647_New-Photo-Tutorial-2018.aspx

Was pretty clean when I stripped it

WOW!!!

1 Like