PDQ's MX5 MK3 NC 2.0 DIY Turbo Conversion

A pic would be awesome, thank you.

Here goes, as you can see it’s as high in the sump as possible.

2 Likes

Ah I see that’s really helpful thank you, possibly easier to do without dropping the engine, accompanied by a bunch of flushes.

That difference in height at least helps a little compared to a fully submerged return I would expect.

1 Like

Todays arrivals…

The pipe that I can screw the Inlet Air Temp sensor into between the intercooler and the intake.

And the universal 63mm Intercooler pipe kit

So I have decided to start by using the Fab9 approach on the turbo oil drain and then change it on a later engine/install if I see the problems myself. This arrived today to go in the standard sump plug.

M14x1.5 to AN10

1 Like

I think I am getting to the end of the parts needed list and so splashed out on a specific silicon hose to use at the throttle body.

Where it goes for the curious……

this was the hardest silicon hose I have ever tried to fit to anything…. But it’s on using special tools shown later in this thread.

I didn’t end up using this hose, because I did not need the additional mounting element for the breather, as this is a turbo conversion had I reconnected the breather as I was originally thinking I would, then I would have inadvertently pressurised the crankcase. So now it has a normal 90 degree reducing silicon hose.

1 Like

Great. So looking forward to the build

1 Like

So todays arrivals are the 2x 6AN fittings that go in the water feed/drain of the turbo (as the turbo wasn’t shipped with any but for £109 turbo I am not complaining.

I didn’t need to buy these separate as the 2 x Water feed lines came with fittings in the packets. So they are now ‘spares’…

Also arrived is a universal mounting kit i will use to fit the intercooler behind the bumper.

A 90deg AN fitting that will connect to the sump adapter and point up towards the bottom of the turbo for the oil to drain through.

Lastly the posh throttle body hose.

Todays task is tracking down 2 x 6AN to a barbed end - so I can repurpose the water feed/drain from the throttle body to the turbo (advice from someone that has done this swap before)

Surely I must be running out of things to buy for this conversion now. Also think I am beginning to see how I could have saved money avoiding duplicating some of the AN adapters!

I ended up buying a set of 80cm long hoses with 3/8 barb instead of the 70cm I bought above. So these are now spares….

1 Like

This looks interesting, found this thread becaus I’m doing a similar project, not going to plan… But that’s a long story.

I’m very much interested in what research/why you have chosen the kraken manifold?

From what I can tell and understand, this is a top mounted turbo manifold?

I have only seen 2 others that are top mounted, the bbr one (that I haven’t actually seen but have read it is) and another on eBay, similar to the kraken one with a wastegate hole Top Mount Exhaust Manifold fits Mazda 3 Speed MZR 2.0L 2.3L / T25 Flange | eBay

I’m trying to figure out if I should get something like one of these or get one custom built - the eBay one looks like it’s going to have poor flow, the kraken looks better.

The other thing I was looking at was getting a stainless steel Mani from any of the Mazda L / ford duratec i4 and cutting the block to Mani flange and turning it around and re-welding it but might be more trouble than its worth

Also I’m interested in what else you have thought of, with the turbo added what is your expected bhp/torque increase (sorry if this has been asked before but couldn’t see it mentioned)

Have you looked into the clutch any more? Also is yours the sport NC? One thing that came up in my research is the normal diff may struggle with the power (read a few people blew there’s pushing it too hard) though the sport LSD seems like it should be ok

I chose the Kraken manifold as it’s a cast solution and I have dealt with so many cracked mild steel turbo manifolds on SR20DETS over the years I think this will be a more robust solution.

Power/Torque is aimed at sub 270/245 so the NC1 rods don’t go walking outside the block. This is a NC Sport so already has the diff.

Now I have all the parts I need but have been struck by Covid so feeling to sick to do it. Will wait until the new year break now when friends are around to help for a weekend.

That’s not good, hope you get better.

Does this mean you also got your clutch for this setup?

I went for one of these

Due to issues with my upgrade to date I can’t say yet how it runs but I’m interested in what you have chosen

This clutch seems to be decent price for specs - I needed something that could take 260bhp and 280 lb-ft

Clutch not yet ordered. Going to get it running, idling, boost and leak free.

Had hoped to do clutch before conversion but will now be after. Covid has really hit me harder than I thought - have been unwell for 2 weeks now but I hope to do the conversion on the New Years weekend.

I’ve been in bed for the last 9 or 10 days with covid :frowning: i know how you feel.

Get better soon guys :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I am feeling better today which is a blooming relief. I think I have everything needed so will pick a weekend soon and see if I can get this installed and running ready for some 2022 track days.

Will take some pics of the install and share what doesn’t work (always as useful as sharing what does).

4 Likes

Ok so last night I was fed up with the terrible rain outside and decided to see if the turbo, manifold and it’s ancillaries would fit together:

So what’s in the picture….

1xMaxpeeding GT28 turbo
1xKraken Top Mount manifold
1xKraken downpipe
1xM18x1.5 O2 Blanking Bolt
1xT25/28 gasket set
2xM14x1.5 water feed fittings
1xGT30 Oil Drain return flange
1xT25/28 Oil Drain/feed kit
1x 4AN to M12x1.5 Turbo Oil Feed Banjo Bolt

Things I learnt are that the oil drain is a GT30 drain and is different to anything else so it took 3 attempts to find the adapter to fit this turbo to allow the oil drain to fit the spacing of the bolt holes in the turbo.

I learnt that the bolt that the turbo ships with for the oil feed has to be used in conjunction with the banjo and not the bolt that came with the banjo. They look identical sizes but the new one did not feel ‘right’ in the threads. This also meant that I had to use the separate restrictor that came with the turbo instead of the one inside the new bolt. Not earth shattering but interesting!

3 Likes

Also bought one of these:

Ok so things started today, I managed to spend only 2 hours on the car.

1. Jacked it up.
  2. Removed the protection plate covering the sump / oil drain area.
  3. Drained the oil
  4. Fitted the AN style sump plug adapter and used an AN cap to prevent any oil dripping whilst I work underneath on removing the old exhaust downpipe/cat/manifold.
  5. Removed battery
  6. Removed battery box
  7. Removed air filter box
  8. Removed intake hose to throttle housing
  9. Disconnected the 2 water feeds to the throttle housing - these will be repurposed to feed the turbo.
  10. Removed the Wideband sensor I had fitted into the downpipe - I will reuse this.
  11. Removed all the manifold to head nuts (tricky)
  12. Unbolted the middle section of exhaust from the downpipe.
  13. Unbolted the top row of nuts that hold the front bumper on.
  14. Unbolted the metal pipe the runs from the back of the engine to the coolant expansion tank.

Good news - the AN fitting (M14x1.5 to AN10) I bought for the sump plug was the right thread.

Some pics.

1 Like