Peaks and Pennines Humber Run Sunday May 8th

Meeting at The Stockyard, Hellaby S66 8HN at 9:30 for a coffee or earlier if you are having one of their excellent breakfasts.

Leaving at 10:00 our May Sunday Run will take us over A, B and minor roads to The Pink Pig Farm  DN16 3REfor a mid morning coffee, from there it is onto The Humber Car Museum Dalton St, Hull HU8 8BB via The Humber Bridge, with an optional  mid after-noon meal.

Used for over half a century by royalty, army top brass and the rich, Humber cars are synonymous with quality. This museum houses the world’s largest and best preserved collection of these superb vehicles, enthusiast Alan Marshall having assembled and restored 25 Humbers, from Pullmans and Super Snipes to the more modern Sceptres and Imperials over many years. The cars take their name from Thomas Humber who was schooled in the city in the 1840s before moving back to the Midlands where he was to make his name in the bicycle manufacturing industry, in particular being responsible in 1868 for the technical innovation we all take for granted today - a chain between the pedals and the back wheel! Alan also has a number of old bicycles on display.
Humbers were known as the poor man’s Rolls-Royce.

But while more than 80 per cent of all the Rolls-Royces ever built can still be traced today, fewer than one in 100 Humbers has survived. Even more surprising, the largest collection in Britain isn’t kept in a national museum but belongs to a potato merchant from Hull

Another area of the MX5 Owners Club recently visited the museum, this is what Greg their AC had to say about the visit

We visited on a Sunday afternoon with a group of members from the MX-5 Owners Club. Allan Marshall takes care of a wide variety of Humber cars (no connection with the river Humber). Some vehicles previously owned by royalty and most have interesting histories. Allan is clearly passionate about his cars and has a depth of knowledge on his subject which I doubt can be matched. He made our group very welcome and gave a fascinating talk outlining the history of Humber vehicles starting from bicycles to the luxury cars they finally produced. If you are the least bit interested in motoring it’s a place you shouldn’t miss.  

After visiting the Museum tables have been booked at the Drax Social Club for a mid afternoon meal. Drax Social Club, Main Rd, Drax, Selby YO8 8PJ

Good parking – Helpful Staff – Value for money food – Large portions – Hand pulled Beers

The social club is approx  4 miles off the M62 shortly before the M62 / M18 junction

Download the route at  Humber_Run_Route_Card.pdf  approx 75 miles each way

Thank you for another excellent day out.

The spring weather couldn’t have been better; lovely warm sun all day; first time I’ve had the car heater on COLD, even through the roof was down! I was pleased to have fixed the passenger side window the day before - it’s been stuck at the top since I bought the car three months ago. Sue needed it down a few times.

The route took us through some lovely villages, some we knew and some we didn’t, but all looking great with the flowers and tree blossom coming out.

We were house-spotting; Rob and Tom obviously clocked the same one as me - the one with FIVE garage doors!

The Humber Museum in Hull was amazing - once we finally admitted to ourselves that we were “temporarily uncertain of position”, back-tracked to the correct route and found it… Oops! Sue’s phone satnav thankfully came to our rescue - the girl is learning :wink: .
Alan Marshall kept us all very well entertained with the marque’s history and his personal anecdotes (I could have stayed there for hours longer).

The Drax social club provided a very nice meal.

We had to leave slightly early because I had to take my daughter back to uni, but all in all another highly enjoyable day.

Glad you enjoyed it Paul