Peaks and Pennines Social Meeting

Anyone who has been watching the forum over the last few months will have seen that The Queens Head have reduced their menu to pies and pasties, which is not what many of our members want, Lesley and I have been on the lookout for a new location as near to the middle of the Peaks and Pennines area as possible,

Two pubs on the outskirts of Rotherham were shortlisted, one proved too small, the other’s management did not seem to have the right attitude, they also had bad reports on Trip advisor.

Whilst I was up at the Spring Rally location on Friday afternoon, I called into The Rockingham Arms in Wentworth for a pint. I had a chat to Glen the Manager,he was very helpful.

We can use have the exclusive use of their restaurant without charge on the first Thursday (or Wednesday see web site - alternating now) of the month, it has its own bar, they serve food until late.

Coincidently two of our members ate there on Wednesday night, they thought the food was good value for money.
There is a basic bowling green and BBQ area by the pub which we could use in the summer.
The Rockingham Arms is 4 minutes off the M1 at jct 35, it is located fairly centrally within the Peaks and Pennines area being 20 miles from Holmfirth / Huddersfield and about the same from Worksop / Chesterfield.

I have booked the room for the next three meetings, .

If some of the Wednesday night regulars cannot make it, I will alternate the meetings Wednesday one month, Thursday the next,

or if those who have asked for a change of night do not come along, I will revert to a regular Wednesday night meeting, lets see how it goes

So our new meet venue starting on Thursday March 3rd is at

The Rockingham Arms

8 Main Street,

Rotherham

S62 7TL

https://www.goodnightinns.co.uk/hotel-booking/rockingham-arms-hotel-wentworth/

As before it is 6:30 onwards if you are having food, the meeting will start at 8:15

Rockingham Arms Hotel (Wentworth)

This ivy-clad 19th Century Inn is set in the heart of the Yorkshire countryside in the historical village of Wentworth. Beautifully kept Yorkshire stone houses line the streets of this quaint and peaceful village. The Rockingham Arms Hotel is just off the M1, it’s perfectly located for both business and pleasure being a short, attractive car journey to Sheffield and surrounded by some of Yorkshire’s most wonderful attractions.

Wentworth Castle, Yorkshire Wildlife Park, the Peak District National Park and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park are within easy reach and Meadowhall shopping centre is only 3 miles away. Wentworth itself is a tranquil Yorkshire village steeped in history, dating back to at least 1066 and listed in the Domesday book.

Although I live in Lincoln I used to work around the Sheffield and Rotherham area quite a lot during my time with BT. On one occasion while travelling from one exchange to another my satnav took me through Wentworth and I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. A beautiful village that wouldn’t look out of place in the Cotswolds. I liked the look of it so much that my wife and I went to stay at the Rockingham Arms for a weekend. The room we had was over the road and it was a little tired although very comfortable, but that was quite a few years back now. The Pub itself was spot on. Lots of character, decent food and some very nice ales.

Another friendly pub in the village, a nice wine and spirits shop, tea rooms, lovely garden centre and an antiques place that kept my wife happy for a couple of hours. A very nice place to spend a weekend, a great choice of venues for the Spring Rally and the perfect pub for monthly meets.

Nice one Burton.

Hi, we’ve just joined the OC today at the Spring Rally, can you let us know what nights you are meeting now at the Rockingham Arms? We live quite close.

Many Thanks, Tony and Lynette

To accommodate members new and established (old ) the meetings at The Rockingham Arms alternate month to month. Either the first Wednesday or the first Thursday of the month. This is to accommodate members who have other commitments. The May meeting will be on Thursday 5th may @ 8.15 although many members arrive earlier and have a meal before hand.
Details can be found if you follow the area link on the forum to Peaks & Pennines.