Pedal kit for heel-toe

Hi,
I’a new 2019 ND MX-5 RF user from Poland. PLEASE, do me a favour and reply with some links to online, EU-based shops where a pedal kit can be bought like this one:
https://www.flyinmiata.com/default/nd-fm-pedal-kit.html . TIA

Peter

Try MX5 Parts

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/aluminium-pedal-motorsport-mk4-p-4100.html

The top link has an extension to the left of the accelerator cover but the MX5 ones do not have this.
You can heel and toe easily without the extension, like most things, practice is the key.

This shows how https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+heel+and+toe&docid=608027594007707933&mid=A45BE232FFDCB89E8AA4A45BE232FFDCB89E8AA4&view=detail&FORM=VIRE You do not actually use the heel.
:heart:

Heel and toe shouldn’t be necessary unless you have clutch drag.

Maybe you need to adjust your clutch pedal

If you’re still after a pedal kit/spacer, you may wish to consider this one which brings the clutch pedal closer to you unlike most aluminium pedal kits:

It’s quite expensive since they have already imported it from the US and is readily available in Europe. Alternatively, you could try buying it direct from Verus Engineering as they post internationally.

‘Heel and toe shouldn’t be necessary unless you have clutch drag.’

Sorry but that does not make any sense at all to me. The purpose and benefits of heel and toe seems to have been missed here. There are plenty of educational clips out there to explain.

You’re quite right, I do it myself all the time without thinking about it.

It’s double-declutching that’s the real anachronism…

1 Like

Using Heel and Toe was how I passed (and survived) the hill start on my driving test.

The handbrake could not hold the clapped out 1951 Morris Minor on the steepest bit up from the sharp bend above the drop.

To make matters worse, the examiner then asked me to change up to second, even though I knew the engine did not have enough go, and there was no synchromesh on first.

So a quick double-declutch back down to first before the engine stalled and we had a very quiet drive back to the Test Centre while he silently thanked his various gods he was still alive.

Before the test he had looked at the old car very dubiously, got into the driver’s seat, started it, and tried unsuccessfully to find a gear, any gear, and asked me “Can you actually drive this heap?”

1 Like

Hi R,
You appear to have quoted me from my post where I was actually quoting 9 from his post. ‘Heel and toe shouldn’t be necessary unless you have clutch drag’ is absolute nonsense in my opinion.

9 has replied but I am obviously not in tune as again he is not making any sense to me.

Just because a skill is not absolutely necessary in modern cars does not mean it should be forgotten. It is these old school skills that can make the difference of being stuck at the side of the road or being able to get home.
Any one else on here practice gear changes up and down without using the clutch? Surely there are some other dinosaurs on here!!!

2 Likes

Heel and toeing gives you much smoother gearchanges on downshifts especially when driving hard. It can prevent the rear wheels losing traction in wet or greasy conditions when you at, or near the limit and need to make a quick down change. This is why many high powered cars have a “rev matching” function included in the engine/transmission ECU.

Double de-clutching helps when you need to bring the gearbox input shaft speed up to the same speed as the output shaft to ease gear changing, especially on down changes if synchromesh is not present or knackered!

1 Like

Thanks for the link; the spacer is ineed expensive… I have a question though: will it fit both LHD and RHD vehicles?

I would check with Verus Engineering first :+1:

I’m guessing it would fit LHD and RHD since the following Mazda part numbers for the whole accelerator pedal part are used for both sides according to eBay listings:

Also, I’ve found an even more expensive option: https://rev9autosport.com/r-magic-3d-accelerator-heel-toe-pedal.html

I’ve had the Verus Engineering part of my modification wish list for some time and will probably purchase it next year after my car comes out of winter storage :grimacing:

As a more general related topic:
I really can’t find the reason of my problem with performing a clean H&T in my Miata, even though with my previous RWD cars (mostly BMWs) it didn’t exist - would any of you guys who use this technique suggest a solution?

Well - suppose I’m approaching a sharp curve with high speed and a high gear; my goal is to brake into the corner, enter it with the 2nd gear already in, and exit accelerating (perhaps even power-sliding). Everything involved in such a maneuver I have already trained my muscle memory for – except hot to best move my right feet from both the barke and gas pedals - embracing position back to the gas pedal - only… My feet needs to rest on the gas pedal fully and securely, as I’m about to gas-steering my car - but unfortunately the design, position and dimensions of the brake & gas pedals unfortunately is awkward for the size of my shoes and my sitting position…

I dare to say that I’m not the only one who has problems relocating my feet between the B&G to G only position, because in all of the many YT movies showing the idea of heel&toe technique, the last phase I am talking about - i.e. exiting the curve with the right feet securely placed on the gas pedal - is never actually shown at all! All this “racing boys” (some of whom show quite a fluency with H&T itself) do it for exiting the curve with power slide - so why not show it?

Heel and toe technique requires you to brake with the ball of your right foot and simultaneously blip the throttle (gas pedal) with the outer part of your right foot, you need to have your right foot turned in so that your foot is at about 30/45 degrees from vertical. The narrowest shoes possible that still fit are a great help, soft soles too! As you brake and blip, depress the clutch, change down a gear and try not to steer the car into the fast approaching hedge!! Sounds good and is very satisfying when you get it right, especially if you manage to perfectly “apex” it over the manhole cover some stupid road designer has put in your way!! Then off the brake and hard down on the accelerator!! Ha! Ha!

Cheers!

Russ

Hi M,
This is just showing the feet and shows exactly what to do. The right foot position can be very awkward in some cars but you just get used to it with time.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+heel+and+toe&&view=detail&mid=84011F06D053B335333884011F06D053B3353338&&FORM=VDRVRV

It is like most things, it gets easer with practice so keep at it. You do not have to be going at 10 10ths while learning. Eventually it will be second nature and you will not even think about it.
Now lets move on to left foot trail braking!!!

1 Like

Thanks; the right feet readyness to be properly and precisely put back on the gas - as per the video you linked to - stems simply from the driver having enough time to do so.

The situation I was referring to, on the other hand, is shown in many other videos like this one: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+heel+and+toe&docid=608027594007707933&mid=A45BE232FFDCB89E8AA4A45BE232FFDCB89E8AA4&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

In such an example, there is a need to have the feet on gas pedal much earlier, like for instance when you want to start gas-steering already while entering the curve…

Sorry M you have lost me, I will retire from this defeated.

I just wear a pair of “Dickies” and I can get “heel and toe” without trying and inevitably when I don’t want to. :crazy_face:

1 Like

This, most of the mx5s are pretty well spaced for heel and toe braking as standard. It does feel awkward and uncomfortable at first but practice soon gets rid of that and you end up being able to do it without thinking about it.

If you have very small feet then fair enough but personally I’d save the money on mods and put it into some nice brake pads or something when you’re hitting the track.

If you’ve ever done any advanced driving on the road they don’t teach heel and toe but you can fit it in to the speed gear phase and it helps to not be practicing going quickly.

1 Like

Hi Folks,
Heel Toeing is a good way to rev match allowing faster gear changes down the box.
It dates back to the days of cars having a centre throttle pedal ( 1920s )
I think we now Toe Heel though due to the revised pedal arrangement on post 1930 cars
Rev matching meant you did not have to double de clutch with a non syncro box which is why heel toeing was devised.
I often blip the throttle under braking to get into first gear at about 20 Mph.
Advanced Driving is not aimed at full on performance driving though.