Petrol pump access

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK2.5
  2. I’m based near: Southend Essex_
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: fuel pump access_
    Hi, could someone give me a brief description of how t get to the fuel pump ie trim removal and any special tools required as I need to suck out debris and possibly fit a new pick up filter.
    Thanks in advance, Dave

Just remove the rear deck carpet by removing windblock and carpet clips then you’ll find a metal cover held on my cross head screws, remove the cover and the fuel pump is under there held in by a ring of cross head screws. These will be tight, put downward pressure on the screwdriver as you crack them off.

Thanks Robbie, clear concise info from you as usual, any thoughts on Syphoning the debris out, I am thinking of using a piston type sink plunger if it proves petrol proof? Why o why no drain bolt on the MK2 :roll_eyes:. Dave

No sorry. Do you know that you can run the fuel pump by bridging the F/P and ground terminals in the Diagnostic port under the bonnet, you can empty the fuel from the tank like that. Getting the pipe off the top of the pump unit is tricky, it uses a similar type of fitting to that on the fuel filter if you’re familiar with that.

1 Like

Thanks again Robbie, no I didn’t know that, I guess your suggesting this as an easy way to empty the tank as opposed to removing the pick up filter and using the pump to clear out any debris ?

It probably the easiest way to get the fuel itself out, you may still have to clear debris by removing the tank unit and fishing around inside. I don’t think access will be that easy though.

That’s as I thought, many thanks, once I have done the job I shall post a summary.
Take care Dave

1 Like