Photobucket

This may have been asked before and I have missed it but, is it possible for some person with lots of IT knowledge to come up with a way of getting all the pictures that were posted on the forum before Photobucket  screwed everything up? I believe what they have done has damaged this website very badly in what they have done. It would certainly be a good move if the pictures could be reinstated. If I still had all the pictures of write ups I have done I would try to re- post them but unfotunately I haven’t.

You will still have your photos on Photobucket, unless of course you cancelled your account as I did. If they are still there you can still see them on your account it’s just the blocking by them and using them on sites such as this.

Unless someone has any other method all I did was download my pics from Photobucket and put them in a folder on my PC. I can then upload them to FlickR or another site such as Postimage and replace the ones blocked by Photobucket on whichever site you posted them to.

No easy way I afraid, it a case of finding your picture uploads on various threads/websites and manually uploading them again from a site such as I’ve metioned above.

When this whole thing happened, I downloaded all the photobucket images from my free account back on to my computer? Unless you deleted them as you went along, they might still be sat there? Worth a look? Saz on here has a “fix” where you can view pics from photobucket? You need to install something on your omputer to follow it though?

Barrie

If I’m reading what you are asking correctly, you are looking to see if anyone into IT can fix all the photos on the forum currently hosted on photobucket to make them work again.

While not technically impossible, this would be a mammoth undertaking, and not one that can be legally carried out.

It would require a program to be written that sifts through every post with a photobucket link to it, grab the image from photobucket using an alternative means, re-upload the photo somewhere else and then update the post with the new link. The downloading/re-uploading and posting of other peoples photos without their express permission is a big no-no and could land the club in a whole world of hot water.

It is possible if you use the firefox or chrome browsers that some of the addons will enable the photobucket pictures.

^^^ Photobucket is a complete waste of space now, good while it lasted for free picture hosting. Much has been said about that site over the years, I never really got on with it, frequently crashing or just screwing up my PC totally.

As I mentioned above Postimage seems to be a quick and easy one to use for the odd picture or two, Flickr for a more multi upload.

You could install Google Chrome and add this extension (called Photobucket Hotlink Fix) (copy paste this link into chrome once installed)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

then the photobucket pictures should appear in the threads using Chrome as your browser.

Google search for ‘photobucket embed fix’ by Ryan Myers. The source code is published as well so you can see it is OK.

I followed Saz’s advice and applied it as an ‘Extension’ to Firefox. 

If you use FF, open Add-ons/Extensions, put ‘Photobucket Fixer’ in the Search box and the fix will be listed. Just install as usual.

It was originally written for Chrome and has been ported to most of the other browsers now.

And yes, it works.

But I no longer post any new pics to PB.

yes, do this folks. I did it and so far as I can tell I can now see everyones’ photobucket pictures again…  

I think the extension thing is a good idea for now, I expect it won’t be too long before Photobucket find a way to block it though. I’d suggest that downloading anything you have in the bucket to somewhere else is a good idea, it won’t help recreate the threads though, that’s still going to be a manual task and one which will be a step too far for many.

Unless your only copy of a photo is on PhotoBucket, why bother unless out of sheer petulance. Those fools who went around deleting Photobucket accounts have really done a number in permanently wrecking threads, for what?

Its been several months, and Photobucket has done nothing. If the opinions variously posted around that this was a crazy, business destroying act, either they’ll change their minds, or are acquired.

Thread resurrection out of desperation !

I have 696 photos on 2 Photobuckets but I’m darned if I can see a work-around or cheeky tweak to “recover” them into my “sole ownership”.

I need to access the 40 odd showing the bare metal resto of our Mk2.5.

I’ve a feeling they have plugged the holes…

Anybody help please? 

And yes…I’ve searched the forum for a solution before posting. 

Oh…hold on lads…this Luddite just added that fancy Chrome extension…can you see a luvverly motah? 

Looks like a long boring process to copy/paste one by one onto PC folders now…unless anyone knows otherwise?

No, the extensions no longer work.

There are other services besides Photobucket.

Well that’s me Confused.Com Saz…which is not hard!

I added it…and Bingo…hence the piccie.

Odd eh?

Presumably, for anyone who says they have no copies of photos downloaded to Photobucket made the mistake of NOT saving them on their computer first? - Downloaded from camera or phone direct to photobucket?

I had very few photos downloaded from my computer into Photophukic, so I still have them on my computer, though my problem is I’ve lost a load having changed from an older PC to a newer one (the old monitor packed in, so I cant transfer to my new PC). The old Dell PC had a specific system compatible monitor, and the connecting cable had a different pin configuration to either of two Dell working monitors I have, one being an even older version of Windows, and the new one being different to both.

Also the old PC was on an older version of MS windows, so the hard drive is incompatible to Windows 10.
Any thoughts as to how I can recover them?

At least my pre Club membership days photos were taken on an Agfa film camera, and while I junked a lot, I still have the rest on slides. Also still have the old Brownie photos dating back to my baby days, plus some taken by my Father, who was a pro photographer in his earlier days. Motto - you don’t lose prints and slides,
or PC’s and websites either ( if you look after them). So much for the digital age.

I wonder how many people who were treated so badly by Photobucket, have signed up and paid to be able to get the images back?

If no one signed up they might go under or  they could do the  honourable thing and let people get there images back. I am not holding my breath tho’.

The main problem is that all the subjects posted on here are not much good without the pictures to go with the text.

You have PM

Reading up on this it seems Photobucket have now taken away the ability to download the whole album from them back to your PC?

When it went belly up I closed my account but beforehand downloaded the lot off there, seems like a PITA doing it one by one.

Looks like it Mick. My issue is…“somehow”… little fingers (not mine) wiped a stick containing my originals…so the BotoFekkit ones are the only examples left.

Should have used my free Google space etc etc…yeah…dumb or what. 

What is left to do for me anyway is to copy/paste 100 or so a day into a new terrabyte HD I bought. 

No choice. Then I’ll pick one of the hosting sites recommended here…and start again>

Oh well…I’m retired…so itll keep me out of jail!