Photographs the Moon!

When I bought a new Nikon Digital Camera 15 or more years ago I enjoyed many a night taking hundreds if not thousands of photos of the moon and stars, I’d put my camera on a convenient in stock manfrotto tripod point it at what ever object I wanted to capture and fire away with the remote cycling through all the f stops, shutter speeds and filter options. At the end of the night I realised the limitations were really the lens up to 300mm and number of pixels which were way less than what my google phone has got. Made an animation of some of the objects as they drifted accross the lens too, if I can find it I’ll post it on youtube. Have fun (y)

2 Likes

Pixel number is not important. Physical sensor size (and therefore pixel size) is more important that pixel number.

1 Like

It’s also worth noting that a full moon is not necessarily the best time to take a photograph because there is very little shadow. The craters are only thrown into relief when they are lit from the side. Here is the moon early this evening.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I don’t have a good enough camera to get the best photos!

Sony a6000 E mount lens
E PZ 16-50mm, F3.5 - 5.6 OSS
E 55-210mm, F4.5 - 6.3 OSS.

and Mobile phone Xperia 1 iv!

No tripod!

Ofiaich!

@Hevans thats a great photo. What equipment did you use?

I used my birding kit: OM-1 with Olympus 300mm f4 and a 2x teleconverter to get the range. I agree with all you say about manual focus and avoiding shake. In fact I go further, using electronic shutter and a remote release.

2 Likes

Alas, as far as I am aware, the Sony E mount lens range does not include a long telephoto.

Hi Hevans,

I was told by a local camera shop assistant that Kenko had been given permission by Sony to produce a Zoom converter! I see there are adapters to allow other lenses to work with the a6000,

I will investigate more!

Ofiaich

https://kenkoglobal.com/search/?query=Sony+E+MOUNT

Thought this one waems a bit eerie

2 Likes

I spoke too soon. I didn’t realise that the Sony 200-600mm lens will work on the A6000.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.