Photographs the Moon!

HI everyone! Any advice on how to get a clear photograph of the moon. I know i need to get a tripod. Cameras are Sony a6000 with 55-210 lens and mobile phone Xperia 1iv,

The images are cropped,

A6000_002

Thanks!
Ofiaich!

2 Likes

A tripod isn’t the main requirement, looking at the details of the pictures above, you are using shutter speeds well within hand held acceptability, especially if you can rest the lens against something solid. You say the images have been cropped, I an guessing they have been very heavily cropped indeed? It looks like the main issues with them is that there aren’t enough pixels left to give a sharp result.

Sadly the best way to improve such long-distance shots is to get a longer focal length lens. Not a cheap option. I use a 150mm to 600mm zoom at full stretch.
Other than that, use manual settings for everything and experiment with different settings to see what gives you the best results. Manual focus will give better results than relying on autofocus for such extreme distances. Keeping the aperture small, f8 or lower, will assist in keeping the image sharp by improving depth of field. Keep the ISO setting as low as you can consistent with being able to use a practical shutter speed in order to reduce noise.

Thanks Martin!

I thought the lens would be the most important issue. I have uploaded an uncropped photo so yes, the other inages are heavily cropped!

I leant firmly against the window frame, all lights off in that room,

Thank you again! I will keep on experimenting!

Ofiaich!

Good luck, at least with today’s digital cameras we aren’t wasting film on experimental shots…

1 Like

Thanks Martin!

When I used a 36 shot film, i would be happy to show 6 photographs to friends! Bin for the rest!

These are the Xperia_1iv settings.

Ofiaich,

1 Like

You mention leaning against the window frame. Was there window glass between camera and moon?

Ideally have the lens in the outside air, no glazing extras to add internal reflections, aberrations and distortion.

Tripod, long lens, outside, longer exposure, and lens on a medium fStop, ie not wide open.

When we lived in Africa, 5000feet altitude gave fantastic night sky on the usual clear nights. Our 1960s neighbour bought a brand new compact fat telescope from an ad in National Geographic magazine, a 3 1/2" Questar. It had add-ons to allow a camera to be attached, and I used to develop his B&W film and print the photos in return for being able to look through it!
The great thing about it was the clockwork equatorial mount, allowing really long exposures to make up for it being quite small.
These are a bit obsolete now, cheaper scopes just as good or better are widely available, but I still have happy memories from using that one.

Hi Martin,

Window was open. I live on the edge of a village and there is only one street light. Fifty yards, to the end of the road is a disused railway and views of the night sky are stunning!

Your Africa story is very interesting! My best photo’s were from the top of Mount Fuji ( 12,388 feet!). Climbed three times! It is said that- Everyone should climb Mount Fuji once but twice is crazy!

Ofiaich

The Africa stuff was Richard’s reply, not me

Ooops! Sorry! My apologies,

Richard! Thank you very much for your reply too!

Ofiaich!

Im gonna disagree with the above, I think 1/200 leaves space for shake if handheld. For quick shots (non tripod), 1/600ish, fstop as low as your lense will allow (I shoot f.2.8) and then bump the iso a little to compensate - noise is negatatable and edited out fairly easily. Also, don’t rely on auto focus, manual focus for sharpness.
Obviously to be getting heavily detailed then trilop and longer exposure and lower iso are better but for a point and shoot, this works best for me anyway.

Also, if you are after a tripod. I recently upgraded so I dont mind sending you my old one if you fancy?

Cheers,

Niall

Thank you, Niall!

I think i have a lot of reading and experimenting to do!

Thanks for the offer of your tripod! I have a strong feeling one is on the way! I had my chimney swept recently and have sherry and mince pies ready!
:christmas_tree::snowman_with_snow::beers::clinking_glasses::santa:
Ofiaich!

1 Like

Your uncropped image shows that you’ve almost nailed it, but it’s a bit soft. Could be camera shake, focus error or a combination of both. Plus of course the moon isn’t static, so a telephoto/zoom will accentuate the movement.

A tripod will help, but if your camera has shutter priority mode, set shutter speed at 1/500, and your ISO at 400. The camera will set the aperture automatically. Make sure you get a meter reading off the moon. Spot metering is perfect if you have it.

Take a shot, then take another two at 1/250, and 1/1000 and compare the images for sharpness. Keep experimenting with different combinations of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The latter is the most critical in getting the sharpest image.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks pmba!

I hope there is a clear sky tonight. I’ll try with my a6000 and Xperia 1iv. I’ll also update my own notes and add the information from this thread.

Ofiaich

Have a read of this article, lots of good advice,

2 Likes

Thanks Goosie!

I’ll have a good read with a beer infront of the fire this afternoon! :grin::beer:

Ofiaich!

I went and took a picture last night with the settings I’d mentioned above. Lost some sharpness cause I’m shooting a 200mm so a pretty heavy crop, but still passable I think for a picture to share with pals.

Niall

9 Likes

Hi Waxy Tax,

That’s an excellent photo! Might have a clear sky later so I will try again.

Ofiaich.

1 Like

Just to throw another set of parameters in, this was shot with my Sony HX400 - f8, 1/320 s, ISO-100, 215mm

4 Likes

It always going to be difficult to get a decent photo of the moon with a single shot. You are relying on the atmosphere being stable at that one very short period of time off that single exposure. And the atmosphere varies minute on minute so you might get a great photo one night and then another night just total mush! The ‘best’ way to photograph the moon is to take a video, which is effectively 100s or 1000s of photos. Then you pick the best ones from the large selection.

If I’m using a DSLR to shoot at night I’ll zoom in with live view (10x or whatever max is) on a bright star and manually focus until that star is as small as possible. Then lock up the mirror (if you have one) to avoid camera shake and/or use a remote trigger or set the 2s delay mode. Tripod or camera propped up on something is a must, never hand held. Also don’t forget the earths moving too so there will be inherent motion blur depending on the focal length.

Ironically the moon is a hindrance for my main interest - deep sky astrophotography, it’s bright reflected light washing out the fine detail in nebula and galaxies.

Occasionally I do take a photo of the moon though :joy: 1200mm F4.7 with Sony based IMX571 sensor camera

5 Likes

Thank you tooth_dr! for your post and brilliant photographs! The moon doesn’t rise til well after midnight at the moment and it’s cloudy at the moment.

I’m going to make notes from all of the replies here in a small notebook and keep it with my camera.

Thanks again to everyone for their help,

Happy Christmas to all!

Ofiaich!

1 Like