Pinging sound from piston(s)

2009 (nc2) 2.0 6spd manual
Hi guys, a couple days ago after work I started my car and noticed a weird sound coming from the engine. Popped the hood and heard a pinging/ticking sound, the best way I can describe it is the sound that mr krabs makes when running in spongebob.
It had new spark plugs in august and new oil in september. I checked the oil and it was on the low marker so I topped it up - made no difference to the sound though. Car is on 85k miles currently. Not sure what else to say, anyone got any suggestions on where to look or what the problem might be?
https://youtube.com/shorts/ea31ulEbQu0?si=ojolDRV_11nJWa0i
This is a video I took of the sound.

New oil in September and now it’s on the low mark on the dipstick, was it filled up to the max mark? The NC1 engines do not like low oil levels, not sure that’s as bad with NC2 on but can’t be healthy either to let the oil level drop.
Check if the noise isn’t related to the auxiliary belt and pulleys (worn) sometimes they can sound like a odd internal engine noise.

I would be tempted to get an OBD code reader and take a look at live data from the engine to see if anything seems wrong.

Low oil level isn’t good on any engine but apparently critical on these. As above and try using a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver to listen to what exact part of the engine the noise is actually emanating from. During my research I read that knackered tensioners on nc engines can make knocking and tapping noises. Would be good if it was that but who knows. (take car prodding around with listening devices and engine running of course) :+1:

Hmmm, I had a very annoying ticking/rattle sound on idle which took me some time to track down.
Only ever happened when it was hot.
It was the “Purge Valve Solenoid” in the end.
If you get your ear just over it and listen to see if it is that.
Might not be of course.
If so let me know and will give the part number.
You can get Genuine (not cheap) as I did or after market a lot cheaper.

As a precaution, I also changed the auxiliary drive belt, idler and tensioner after as a bit noisy, (Gates Kit).

Good luck.

I’ve had this in my basket if the need ever arose, if it does turn out to be a belt related issue at least the parts are readily available in expensively.

Escaping gas from the exhaust manifold gasket can make a ticking sound.
Best way to pinpoint it, as its gas rather than metal on metal, is with a tube to the ear

Blimey, I paid this delivered from “Autodoc App” delivered. :wink:
(Sadly out of stock now :roll_eyes:).
K016PK2253
V-Ribbed Belt Set
£55,10 GBP

That’s very cheap for the kit. Will have to look that up :+1:. Think I paid about 21 quid for a gates belt alone.

Just short of £100 for the belt and pulley set (non Aircon) for my last NC. Decent quality parts from a known supplier (Autolink) the Mazda kit (genuine) will be a good deal more.