Polyurethane Bushes

1. My model of MX-5 is: MX5MK1 NA BBR turbo from new J Reg__
  2. I’m based near: Carterton__
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Suspension bushes_

I’m surprised no one has commented yet as you may be aware this has been the topic of heated debate sometimes spilling over the line.

BBR specific I can’t help with but it would be easy enough to look up if they offered options over oem. Presumably if they did it would be Mazdaspeed.

The commonly used equivalent of that is the IL motorsport stiffed rubber bush. One of the best known Mazda race prep companies was adamant this was the best bush for a road car and polybushes were too harsh for U.K. roads. This led to some unfounded accusations from people who made polybushes or people who’d fitted them.

I’ve got the IL motorsport bushes in mine. One may as well refurb the entire suspension if it’s ropey when fitting which makes it a much bigger job and can turn into full restos. You have to have to use a press or the well served threaded rod ans socket method to put them in as well as get the old ones out .

The poly bushes go in much easier but you hear stories about them binding up and snapping rust weakened rear control arms. My experience of polybushes elsewhere is they are grand for the track but a bit much for a road car just wearing. That said I’m only one opinion of many.

When I had polybushes in the Alfa they were super pro and were grand subject to being too track biased - and that was after Harvey Bailey contributed to the set up

1 Like