Possible immobiliser issue

1. My model of MX-5 is: __1998 Mk2
  2. I’m based near: __Guildford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Possible Immobiliser / cam sensor

I am in desperate need of help and guidance. Last October I did what I thought was the right think before winter started and wrapped my beautiful MX5 up in the driveway. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of a garage for him. A few weeks I had a look under the covers and was hear broken to see how mouldy and soaking wet he had become inside. The entire underside of the roof was covered in large droplets of water as was, worryingly so, the engine and underside of the bonnet . It took a while but I managed to clean away the mould and get him fully dried out in time . I tried starting him. He turned over for a couple of seconds then died. I ended up trying to jump start him, no luck. Then nothing, absolutely nothing. On calling the AA a most unhelpful old bollox simply said, and I quote “you’ve done something real bad” It seems I had somehow blown the main fuse. He could help me, obviously beyond him and I let him go before politely asking him to leave. I have since had a pal take a look for me. He was unable to plug it into diagnostic equipment but having taken all kinds of amp readings, checked the cpu under the passengers footwell, checked the immobiliser ring at the ignition and run a few tests. He seems to think it could be either the cam sensor or have something to do with the immobiliser. Weeks have passed and he has been unable to return which has left me beyond desperate and extremely upset to see him just sitting there day in day out. What adds to the difficulty is I can not tow it out due to the shape of my driveway so need to find friends and muscle to push him out in order to possibley take it somewhere. Is there anybody out there who can advise, help If just to dry the tears of frustration , direct or guide me as to what to do next in order to get this beautiful car back on the road. I would be forever in your dept. The most painful thing of all is how much I had been looking forward to taking my father for drive in it. Having tried to sort this problem out for three months now, it is too late. I lost my dear father last Sunday which has turned it into a rather emotional excercise now. You may well have gathered, I know nothing about cars and the mechanics behind them but I do like love my MX5 as I did my father. Thank you for reading.

1 Like

Hi

I feel your pain, I had similar with a MK2, in my case it was a 30amp fuse had blown, Have you checked all the fuses?
The diagnostics on the MK2 are very basic, but all you need is access to the diagnostic port under the bonnet a LED and a paperclip.
Try here Diagnostic fault code reader LED Mazda MX-5 mk1 & mk2
A trusted supplier and comes with instructions.
Good luck

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve also been chatting with Rhino666. He couldn’t have been more helpful, so much knowledge. He agrees with your recommendation thank you, I’m ordering one straight away. Will keep you informed.

I can’t advise on a diagnosis of your Mark 2 issue [but other members/visitors can]

But sending you a hug from fellow Mark 2 owner as I previously lost my father and then Bullit got very poorly herself and like yourself my late Dad loved my Mk 2

Just persevere …I eventually got through it and Bullit survived

It’s Not Too Late

Remember you are grieving and THIS TAKES TIME

As may getting your boy back on the road

Good Luck :handshake:

How very very thoughtful. Thank you so much. I had a great chat with Rob ( Rhino666) last night, wow what a mountain of knowledge. Feeling a lot better today and looking forward t getting “Marty” back on the road :slight_smile: Where are you ?

Regards.

Shaun near Guildford

1 Like