Possibly looking for my first MX5

Hi all, just joined from Kent, have started having a look around for my first MX5. I’m looking for mk3.5 or 3.75 2.0 sport tech or similar spec with PHRT and no structural rust. Intention is to use it as a hobby car and modify it for weekend fun. Rusty control arms, brakes suspension etc not so big an issue as part of the fun for me is in the refurb and upgrade.

Previous cars include Mitsubishi FTO, a couple of BMWs, FN2 Civic Type R, tuned Blobeye WRX STI, heavily tuned Nissan Silvia S15 and for the last 5 years a Ford Mustang GT, which, as nice as they are, really aren’t suited to the uk and the roads that we have in my opinion.

My outlook towards motoring has changed, and I’m looking in a different direction. I figure a small, nimble car, generally very reliable that could potentially offer 300hp with a BBR kit and a drop top with great handling could be as fulfilling a drive as anything else I’ve had. Love the look of the 3.75 especially but 3.5 is a close second for me.

Worked on a few over the years (NA and NC) and found them a pleasure to meddle with (apart from replacing a vinyl roof on an NA!)

Anyway that’s me, hoping to have a good look around and mine some more info about the cars that I didn’t know.

Thanks, Dean.:+1:t2:

Welcome along, hope you find a suitable car, you’re right about the ‘stang (in my opinion), great in their native environment, not really on UK roads.

Thanks for the welcome Ian. Well described. It was a big, powerful car, beautiful to look at but more a handful than it was fun to drive and wasted unless you’re stretching its legs on long journeys as you could in the USA.

http://www.duratecnc.co.uk/?p=52

Thanks very much for the info :+1:t2:
I was aware of the oil related knock issues, the notchy cold 1st to 2nd etc, the scuttle leak (have fixed this on another car for someone) and the clogged drains and the rust issues, however I never knew to what extent with the rust. I also don’t know if the phrt is far less likely to leak than a ragtop or not?

Did Mazda ever improve the corrosion situation on later cars 2010 onwards?

I am drawn to later cars mainly because they improved the styling (in my opinion), and the newer, lower mileages should by rights be in better shape. I certainly don’t want to be dealing with rust issues if I can help it and would much prefer a solid base that isn’t showing signs of rust so it can be properly cleaned, treated and under sealed before it starts, rather than buying a car caked in waxoyl or the like, not knowing what’s going on underneath.

The intention would be to modify the suspension no matter the case - I wonder how receptive the cars are to polybushing? I realise they can give vast improvements but this normally comes at a cost in terms of refinement and comfort and I’m not sure I want that with this one.

Cheers,
Dean.

Good luck with the car hunt Dean. A fellow ex-mustang gt owner here too - we hold the same opinion.

Hope you manage to find a suitable car

All the best
Rob

posts inthe facebook mx5 groups by Anan Vaid give full info on suitable stuff and processes re rust removal etc
The real problem is INSIDE the car/chasis etc NOT just the bits we can see
My 2007 PRHT had rust issues BUT that was solved early by a local MX5 guru.
Yes, PRHT are better for drainage but still need checking/protecting.
Smartop module is great - the same by MX5Things is half the price

My 2014 PRHT is a better car with 2 litre engine, 6 speed and heated seats etc.

Thanks Rob, good to know I’m not the only one. Started to think I was nuts.

1 Like

Holy! That is a mess. Cant say I’ve ever had a car with anything like that. Did treat some rust before on the s15. Ground back and used bilt hammer detox and whatnot, zinc primer over the top with tetra Schutz on top and it did the job well.

There are far worse out there …

I’ll do my best to avoid those ones then :+1:

For sale and reply post hidden by admin, please use private message as per the forum rules section 10 (h).

Sorry my bad I thought I was replying via private message. Thanks

Hi Dean,

I have PM’d you the pics of the car. If you need anymore just let me know.

Tony