Post Lock Down European Road Trip

So when this Covid is finally under control and we can travel abroad again I’d like to take my MX5 and my wife on a European road trip for a week. It can only be a week as the boot will not hold any more than one week of ladies clothing ( sorry Darling I know that was cheap). Does anyone have any experience or pointers for this before I reinvent the wheel and spend time on Google? Many thanks

I can highly recommend the Black forest in Germany, great roads fantastic scenery and easily reached in a day, if you want to go a bit further try the Deutsch Alpen Strasser , from lake Constance all the way to Berchtesgaden is fantastic, perfect roads and amazing scenery with plenty of sight seeing.

2 Likes

Alsace in France is gorgeous. You could take in some of Germany at the same time. Or Alsace and the Loire valley.
Further South, the roads in the Alps will really entertain you. Check out Briançon, the Col du Lautaret, Col du Galibier, Col de l’Izoard, and then head towards the Italian lakes (Como etc…). Roads do get busy in Sumner though.

1 Like

that would be good, start off via the nurburgring

1 Like

not bad :wink:
especially mountain passes and alpine roads :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
(lots of traffic on summer weekends :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

How about ferry to northern Spain, Pico’s de Europa’s, Santiago De Compostela and anything else that takes your fancy and ferry home either from Spain or France, I did similar many moons ago on a motorcycle a couple of times but also rode across Spain to Grenada, in a day ! That was insane and I wouldn’t recommend it !!! There is lots to do and see northern Spain / Portugal/ north west France and it’s a bit different.
Have fun
Dave

1 Like

The north coast of Spain is beautiful and the food is very good :star_struck:

Our journey in 2019 : San Sebastian - Gijòn - La Coruna :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: - Vigo

2017, another road trip. North Germany. Baltic coast and North Sea coast. Superb :star_struck:
(Rügen - Wiesmar - Flensbourg - Sankt Peter-Ording)

4 Likes

nice area, been there myself a few times, not a big fan of the ferry though, so makes quite a long drive but not much difference timewise to the ferry

1 Like

Berchtesgaden area of Germany and surrounding areas, and Salzburg and surrounding areas are wonderful.

1 Like

Closer to home, Normandy, the landing beaches Bayer tapestry etc. or France / Belgian, ww1sites, Denmark?

1 Like

And yes I also agree the Loire valley and chateaux’s gorgeous!

And finally cut down on your own clothes allowance and allow more for your lady and add a couple of days :wink::joy::+1:

1 Like

If you are near Le Mans, don’t forget this legendary hotel !
Lovely and full of car memories :hugs:

1 Like

Or book an accommodation with a washer/dryer mid-way through your holiday. I do that and need a lot less clothes. I prefer to carry more shoes.

3 Likes

Great option :+1:, we have had 2 week road trips washing out clothes as we go with what we could fit in a carry on bag!

1 Like

Then you can keep boot space for souvenirs. Or for road kills.

yes good spot if your in the area

Many thanks for all the great ideas and tips everyone. I think we’re going to be having a few European road trips.