Potential clutch issues?

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3.5 NC2 1.8 SE 5 Spd
  2. I’m based near: Bristol
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Clutch Slippage

I’m currently a bit fussed over some potential clutch issues on my MX5, It doesn’t slip in high gear at low rpm at WOT which is a usual indicator of a slipping clutch. the clutch is quite high compared to other MX5s or at least a low mileage mk4 i drove recently. it slips during fast launches, if you dump the clutch to get wheelspin it just slowly drops down to road speed before gripping up, even my 60hp Up! can get wheelspin and doesn’t do this.

It also generally just feels a bit soft and inconsistent, it feels like it varies slightly every actuation.

I’m not sure where to start but it feels like it’s got worse recently and i rely on this car for work so i’ve one ahead and bought a clutch (exedey) and am getting it fitted this sunday unless i can figure out another solution so i’m not left stranded without a car.

p.s. It’s not low/losing any brake/clutch fluid.

A good slip test, try and drive off with the handbrake fully on. If it’s slipping then it won’t stall.

Do you have any free play in the clutch pedal before it starts to push the clutch ?
I wonder if the clutch pushrod had been adjusted too much.

1 Like

The clutch almost immediately triggers as soon as you touch the pedal, if I’m 5th gear WOT and I gently nudge the clutch it immediately slips

I would try adjusting the pushrod so the pedal can move a little before pushing on the clutch.

2 Likes

When I try this its within spec, gearnoise stops about halfway through clutch pedal travel, could the friction disk just be too worn to grip immediately but not worn down enough to slip under low rpm high gear load.

If you are saying the clutch seems quite high - I would at least try a small tweek of the pushrod to lower the pedal a bit.
Much cheaper than a clutch that may not be needed.

Also - have a look under the car at the joint between the engine and gearbox - see if there is any sign of an oil leak - the rear crank seal may be leaking and oil is on the clutch.

1 Like

I’ll have a tinker around this evening and update this thread