Powder Coating - Newcastle Emlyn

Had been looking to get my wheels powder coated for a few months now and had a quote in Swansea for £90 a wheel. Was a bit steep so figured I needed to save up. Had a recommendation from a local garage of someone in Newcastle Emlyn who was £50 a wheel so did some investigation and found L J Services. They ended up charging £37.50 a wheel including restoration. I got the wheels and the underbody braces (4 pieces) all coated for £180, absolute bargain.
Just need to get the body painted…

The facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/LJServices23

Bargain indeed. Let’s hope they didn’t just paint them.
What’s with the bodywork?

It used to look like this:

I put it into a wall 18 months ago just before lockdown and have been slowly putting it back together.
The body has been filled, sanded and prepped and is going to be painted soon

:scream:

You got lucky the damage could be ironed out…
And if your wheels were restored, dipped, then powder coated, all for £37.5 a corner, luck is still on your side.
I am looking at £340 in total for mine.

They are definately coated, I got a tour of his process and he had about 6 sets of wheels in progress. He is also doing my fathers mk3 this week. There are photo’s of his work on his facebook page.
The car truthfully was written off but I had such an affection for it I put the work in. I even bought a donor car as I found so much rot on my journey. It’s the top end 1.8 vvti so I wanted to save it, I took everything off the bottom including both sub frames and de-rusted and painted, replaced the roof (new one on the donor) and spent way more than it was worth, but learned a lot and now it’s being used I just don’t care how it looks.
I was quoted about £350 at a place on Swansea Enterprise Park and I was prepared to pay that until I found this fella in Newcastle Emlyn

Wow! So it was pure hard graft, not luck (another foot in mouth moment for me…).
I would love to learn to work on a car this extensively, if only I had a garage.

It was all done out in the open on a sloped drive…

It was on axle stand for a full 12 months, there were weeks when I could do nothing because of the welsh weather and I did bits and bobs in the shed. I restored and cleaned every single piece I took off the car. Here are the before and after pics of the drive shafts that were fully disassembled and put back together:

I have no prior real experience with cars, just a lot of time watching people do stuff on youtube and then having a go myself.

1 Like

Hats off to you. Your neighbours are obviously more understanding than mine (who did report me to the council for working on my Audi for 2 days when fixing the cooling system!).

I don’t think they were very impressed, my neighbour is also my landlord and he was not happy when I constructed a garage tent on the drive…and then it blew down in the massive storm that hit us a week later. I had taken the roof off the car to prepare for priming and it spend 10 hours in the storming rain until I wrapped it in canvas to protect it.
We are waiting on our solicitors to finish their ■■■■ and we are moving very soon and my first priority was a decent sized garage

Is it your landlord you have the solicitors for?

Nah the solicitors are for the move. Getting the keys to the new house on Friday and most importantly my new garage!!! Even better the car is booked in for paint. Only problem I have is the abs sensor on the rear left is firing the ABS at low speed, have disconnected one of the plugs under the bonnet so that I can still drive it without ABS while the sun is out

I am driving a car with no ABS (I suspect the sensor has been damaged by someone hitting the kerb) at work at the moment. Scary during emergency braking.

1 Like