Power Steering Cooling Pipe Leak

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1995 California
  2. I’m based near: Gatwick
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on a power steering leak problem.

Hi Guys, I’ve got a leak on my MK I power steering cooling pipe, at the bracket on the chassis rail, that supports flow and return pipes.
I know that not all MK I’s have the cooling pipe so would it be possible to bypass it?
If not, where’s the best place to find a replacement and how tricky is it to fit?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Can’t help with your query, sorry, but I’m having power steering added to a '96 Monaco, and found it interesting that not all MX5s with pas have the cooling pipe, especially as this has been by far the most expensive part and the most difficult to track down.

When my cooling pipe corroded and started leaking like that at the end nearest the reservoir I sawed off the corroded end and replaced the short hose to the reservoir with a slightly longer piece of fuel hose. That worked okay but I also needed to replace the bottom radiator hose because the dripping PAS fluid had rotted the hose below and it was swollen and ready to burst.

Thanks Martin. And did you just use jubilee clips fir the connection?
Do you remember what size hose you used?

I think I reused the existing hose clips. The fuel hose might have been 9mm, not sure, but it was a standard size as far as i can recall.

Pic of the repair here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AraTPhyTuxzMhIYBvlIyLKWY0bspYg

Oh, and you an see the stud holding the clamp snapped off when I tried to undo the nut. With the repair being thicker than the original pipe it would have needed a rethink about how to fix it back on and in the end i didn’t bother.

Without being a member I would not have seen this post and would have wasted £70 on a cooling pipe for the manual to power conversion I’m having done on my '96 Monaco. As mine is only 90hp and will never see the track or go drifting or go to a hot country, my mechanic and I have agreed there is no need for the cooling pipe.