Preparing for Long Distance Trials

I am looking at preparing my 1995 Euros Roadster to take eon a few long distance trials (have done a few on motorbikes over the years).

I know it is not the ideal car (it is automatic for a start) but it is what I have got and while solid and going well despite its 165,00 miles covered, it is not worth anything and I don’t need it if it doesn’t survive!

Thinking that will need an engine guard plate, raising the suspension and maybe bigger wheels (has 14" as standard), and some way of putting two more wheels on the boot lid.

Would appreciate if anyone has any experience, contacts or advice - have seen a couple of MX5s on Youtube videos of long distance trials so know it has been done.

many thanks, Robert

Have a look here.   http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst100222_Shortening–Universal-Roof-Bars–to-fir-MX5-boot.aspx. Two wheels stacked horizontally on there would do the job.

Forget the preparation, just go for it…

That’s what I did last September, sent £4k on a NC 2 litre sport with a fresh MOT, stuck a full set of spare brake pads in the glove box, loaded my camping gear and then embarked on a 5 week tour of Europe…8,000 miles, 12 countries, 3 principalities and all the ‘interesting’ roads in the Alps and Pyrenees. Never missed a beat and only needed to change the front brake pads after the Alps. Didn’t even take out breakdown cover!

Reckless maybe, but trust in Mazda’s reliability.

:slight_smile:

I think the OP means classic trials like the Lands end and the Exeter .

Check out the Flyin Miata 3" suspension lift kit for ideas its actually good value except for the shipping / duty

An Auto should be good as long as you dont boil the fluid. fit a low ratio torsen diff if you can.

I have seen a supercharged MX trialing in cornwall.

Just bolt the spares onto the boot lid side by side.

Have fun playing in the mud.