PRHT dash light remains red

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Co. Armagh
  3. Hi everyone. I have a hard top model of the nc mx5 and whenever the roof is closed the red light for the power hard top remains on. Any idea what could be causing this.
    Thanks,
    Sammy

It may be an issue with the top lock switch. See the linked page and the ones following it using the next navigation link at the top of the page.
http://ncmiata-servicemanual.com/ServiceManual/manual/mazda/2008/miata/g5/books/g5w09/html/id0903j2850000.html

I also wondered that? OP doesn’t say if the audible ‘ping’ is heard at the end of the closing cycle or if everything is fine the other way, when fully retracted. Or, if the warning sound is heard when trying to drive off with roof closed? Boot lid properly closed?

Barrie

1 Like

The operation of the roof seems fine there are no warning buzzers or flashing lights indicating that the cycle is incomplete. The light remains on with the roof down and with the roof up

It might be worth disconnecting the battery for 1/2hr or so to see if the light reappears after the controller has reset.
Usual reported problems seem to centre around the limit switches which indicate to the controller which position the roof is in.
I believe that only mazda dealers have the diagnostic equipment and code information to interrogate the roof controller via the obd2 socket.
As usual the power supplies for the roof and windows etc could be compromised by water ingress into the fusebox in the passenger footwell so check there for dampness and seal scuttle cowl grommets if not already done

2 Likes

I had to have the limiter switches replaced on mine. As you say, Mazda only diagnostics. Mine was stuck part way down, plus a motor replaced.
Barrie

Thanks everyone, I tried everything you said @mk375. First disconnected the battery and after thar I checked for dampness in the passenger foot well. And well there was indeed dripping. I sourced this back to a bad scuttle cowl grommet. As a temporary fix I removed it and used silicone to make a seal and placed it back in. I think I’ve seen mx5 parts sell these? I checked for dampness under the carpet and luckily it hasn’t made its way to the bare metal.
I then reconnected the battery but the light still shows in the car. Could this be down to one of the fuses now getting damp or where do I go from here.
Thanks

To add to this I now have DHC off flashing and traction control lights permanently on. I hope this is just a fuse problem lol

I am pretty confident that it will be to do with the top lock switch as above. When I release mine the light comes on. When locked it goes off. Probably either a misaligned or faulty switch?
Cheers :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

How can I go about fixing this or is it something the dealer or mechanic will need to fix? Thanks. As for the dsc lights got them sorted lol was just a matter of turning the wheel to each hard lock because I had removed the battery

Yes I done that and had a little panic moment when I changed my battery!
I do remember reading a thread on here a short while ago with a similar problem about the latch switch…
Personally I would have a look myself first and try and identify the fault. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

This link might help in taking apart to check.

Your temporary fix will be more permanent than replacing the gasket, which would only rot again.
Hairdryer on the fuse box to dry it out?
Also there is a module on the drivers side in the roof well that can cause problems if it gets wet. Try drying that out too

1 Like

Will try drying the module out later. Dried the fusebox out this morning.
I’ve noticed the light does get brighter when I open the latch etc tried pushing the switch in with my finger and the light goes from bright to lower brightmess. When the car is at idle there is almost a flashing in the light where it somewhat flickers.

1 Like

Here’s some photos to illustrate the difference hope yous can make it out

is this any use?

Have you sealed the scuttle panel grommet which the retaining screw goes into or sealed around the black oval cover plate on the top?
Until you have got the fusebox completely dried out I would not mess with anything else.
You may have either power or ground connecting to the light via an adjacent circuit in the fusebox.

1 Like

Yes I sealed the grommet that the screw goes into and lo and behold after allowing everything to dry out well the light is now off. Just hope that it stays that way.
Thanks everyone for all your help

4 Likes

Good news :slight_smile:

Result!
Achilles had dubious heels
Mk3’s have dubious grommets

2 Likes