PRHT Powered Hard Top Strange intermittent fault buttons mixed up

I know that similar issues have occurred when the smart top goes wrong, The smart top module can also switch itself to “service” mode where it effectively turns itself off so the car would act like it does not exist. I would pull the plastic cover behind the passenger seat and see if the unit is in there, if it is the remove it

Also I remember seeing a case where the window switch had caused a problem with the roof operation. A replacement window switch unit solved it.

It’s important to hold the insert away from the metal scuttle and lay a sealing bead all the way round between insert and scuttle to fill the resultant gap.
If you don’t do this but leave the insert resting on top the scuttle and simply plaster sealant around it, it will almost certainly pull free and break the seal when you tighten the screw.

Dear pals,

I will be venturing into the garage as soon as my cuppa has reached maturity.

In an ideal world, it will have dried out nicely overnight. Next best scenario is a further blow with fam heater doesn’t the trick.

Aside from that it will be seeking the fabled smart top, removing the window switch and potentially sulking when nothing works…

Thanks so much to everyone who has pitched in. I am confident that with your assistance(s), the problem can be solved.

Reporting back as soon as I can.

F

2 Likes

It seems the problem is fixed up. My drying out strategy worked.

I have tested the roof 5 times and each time, it worked.

I will replace scuttle and maybe do other side as well.

Thank you very much indeed for helping me.

I have bought some trinkets to make the car a bit more pleasing to drive:

Jass -2.5" seat lowering brackets.
Jass gearknob
Jass interior led
Jass boot led

Cheers,

F

4 Likes

That’s great news that it’s sorted! Now get those new bits on the car and let us know how it all went! :+1:

Barrie

1 Like

Cheers Barrie,

I will post up when I have done the bits.

No need to replace the insert, simply seal the existing one.
Remove all traces of the original biodegradable foam gasket, pull the plastic insert vertically upwards, away from the metal scuttle and fill the gap underneath with sealant
You can use a neat bead like I did or plaster it everywhere as seems to be popular.
Either will be much better than buying a new foam gasket which will simply degrade and fall to bits just like the original.

3 Likes

Dear Chums,

Thanks to everyone that helped.

This conclusively fixed the problem. The roof now works every time and the leak has abated.

4 Likes

Only abated ???

1 Like

I don’t want to say totally stopped yet. We haven’t had a dry day since I took it out if the garage and there is still a little (what looks like) condensation visible.

Whether this is just the last bits of water evaporating (couldn’t feel wet carpet but perhaps it was damp) or severely reduced leak i can’t say.

Main thing is the hard top has stopped showing off. Few hot dry days will show for sure.

1 Like

This is how rusty ours got behind the glove box.

Presume that Mk4s don’t have this problem - they don’t have a glove box! :innocent:

1 Like

They don’t have leaky grommets either…

2 Likes