Problems with Key after fitting new case

Hi all,

I have a Mk3 NC 2008 car.

It came with two keys. Both worked fine but one had a damaged case.

I bought a new plastic case and transferred the Key, PCB and Battery.

Initially nothing worked.

After repairing the key it will now lock and unlock the car. But it won’t start the engine.

Any ideas.

Pairing Method used

Remove key from ignition switch.
Close all doors.
Open driver’s door.
Carry out the following procedure within 24 seconds:
Turn ignition switch ON and back to LOCK position 3 times.
Close and then open the door 3 times (ending with door open)
Ensure doors lock and unlock.

Jeff.

I suspect you’ve left the transponder chip in the old remote. It’s a little black chip probable glued in the old body buy the blade. The engine will not start unless the chip is near the ignition switch.
There was a thread on this with a photo, I think it was posted in the last week or so.

Richard.

found the thread, look here: - Immobiliser kicks in after changing key fob body

1 Like

More than suspect, I’d say you’ve definitely not transferred the chip to the new key. This chip is a vital component of the immobiliser system. It is read remotely by the ECU to allow the engine to recognise the ‘correct’ key and allow the engine to start. The key blade and associated chip are a completely separate system to the remote opener unit, either of which will operate in isolation. (As you’ve unfortunately found out…)
JS

Thanks,

This is definitely what I have done…

Jeff

Just to mention, when one of my remotes failed, I bought a new remote opener section and just clicked the old key blade section into that. I resychronised the new remote and it was all fine. The chip is ‘buried’ somewhere in the key blade section and it’s not easy to locate, so I’ve no idea how much you’ve dismantled…
JS

Thanks for all the advice.

I have thrown the Transponder chip away :slightly_frowning_face:

For me it was that the two key halves would not stay together. The plastic tabs had broken off and the key kept separating from the alarm half.

So I bought a complete replacement key fob case.

I swapped the Key and Spring in one end and the PCB and Battery in the other end.

I did this a couple of weeks ago. So unfortunately the Garage bin was emptied last week and all the old bits are gone.

Jeff.

You can try taking it to Timpsons to see if they can clone the transponder in your new key from your other key.