Production numbers

The Blue Book regulations for 2019 and 2020 specify a minimum of 5000 cars made to be eligible for the standard classes for sprints and hillclimbs - this has to be the specific model, not just NC or ND. Can anyone tell me where to find production data for 2005/6/7 2.0 l sport and the similar cars please?

Thanks

Mazda UK do not provide this data.

Although Mazda might be stingy with the information there is a website which shows how many of a particular car are still currently registered in the uk. You can put in specific models. The Mx5 sport still has over 6 thousand registered in the UK today so you should be ok.

www.howmanyleft.co.uk

I hope that is of some use

This kind of info is found in Mazda’s corporate investor type reports available on their home website, ie not Mazda UK

Andy you are talking through a hole in your head.

The guy is asking about a speciifc model variant of the MX5 in the UK. These numbers are not available from the Mazda Corporate site either. Please check your facts before posting

I think no need for that comment. And in any case, the regulation does not refer to specific model type, nor UK-only sales:

Sometimes I wonder why so many people lurk in the shadows of car forums.

I have no idea if the info Andy gave was right, wrong or helpful to the question or not, however i see no need for the above response.

Don’t want to get into an argument here. I asked a scrutineer and he said it was the specific model which had to have 5000 sales, presumably worldwide. Chances are I will never be asked to prove it, but wanted the data just in case. Have tried SMMT data, but not detailed enough. Tried Mazda Japan and the same problem. As I read it, 5000 in any 12 month period. I feel sure this is true for the Sport, although I saw something which said the ZSport was only 4000 in total (?)
Next steps are to look at DVLA data and maybe contact the MX% historian?

2007 ZSport was only 400.

I think the Scrutineer has it wrong, otherwise the numerous unique editions introduced by Mazda into the UK for marketing reasons would have no chance, and in effect, all MX5s would be excluded from road going classes, because no individual model spec for the last 20 years has exceeded 5000 units per year in the UK.

The Zsport was just a UK version of the Japan market Blaze, with trivial trim details. In Australia, it was just called “Limited Edition” (genius marketing).

He obviously has it confused with Gp B. Nothing in the wording of the regulation to indicate UK sales only, trim-level specifci sales, or even engine-variant, beyond under 2.0.

European sales data

Sales since 2005 have been about 10,000 a year, with the larger part of sales being traditionally to Germany, followed by the UK.

I would stop worrying about it.

Thank you for this reassurance. I’ll see how it goes.