Project 'Resurrection'

Little advice needed in regards to a project I have just purchased.

I have gotten myself a 1994 Mk1 Eunos 1.8 Automatic that hasn’t moved for at least 5 and a half years.

Unbelievably the sills and wings are amazing, no rust what so ever that I can spot, body work is a little tarnished/tired. Hood is water tight and in great condition although the plastic screen will need replacing. Thoughts on this place - http://convertible-rear-window-repair-kit.co.uk/index.htm

The discs are rusted to god knows what so I will be replacing the discs and pads. Might have to recon the calipers too.

What else would you suggest I do as to replacing engine and gearbox oil, other fluids, belts, hoses etc?

Pictures to come soon…

Matt

As its a 1.8, I would flush the oil. The oil pump strainer on the 1.8 can block if the car has been standing, resulting in oil starvation. It will sound like a bag of nails on starting

I would check the coolant hoses carefully, particularly the ones on the heater that run under the CAS at the back of the engine. Hopefully no oil leaks in that area.

Inspect the steel pipes on the thermostat and inlet pipe that joins the waterpump.

Inspect cam and aux belts for obvious damage.

Check HT lead connections to coilpack for water ingress/corrosion. 

If you are changing coolant, check flow through radiator by running water through top rad port and ensuring that a healthy flow from bottom port.

Check out the air filter.  

May be worth lifting the passenger side footwell carpet and check ecu is corrosion free.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Another quick one…

Are the center consoles of a manual car the same as an automatic?

Cheers

As promised a few pics of the project.

This as how she looked when delivered to me on Thirsday morning.

The previous owner had give her a a light wash so it wasn’t as bad as it looked when I bought it.

The interior is as dry as a bone even with the split in the rear screen.

Even so, that gold trim has to go…

Came off easy enough and with no sticky residue.

Mileage is in kms so 111609 turns out to be just under 70,000 miles.

Roof has been changed over, what a fecking job. Rain rail looked brand new so happy days… :D

Discs and pads changed too.

New spark plugs, fuel filter and pump added as she was a non starter. Lots of fiddling, circuit testing and swapping bits over from my other Mk1 and on changing the pump,she fired up a treat… :thumb:

Changed the rear light to one that is not all misted over.

Just been for the MOT and she PASSED with only an advisory of signs of suface rust on underside of vehicle and components.

What to do with her now…?

Who here wants a 1.8 Automatic?

I’ve owned my similar auto for nigh on 15 years. I need the slusher a lot less than I did back then thankfully due to my spine getting stronger thanks to gym & diet regimes.

Anyway, as autos go, mechanically your car is barely run in. Someone out there will need it at the right price…Mazda sold all they made.

What I can say, after my long ownership and around 90,000 miles of daily work use ( until I retired), thrashing it’s nuts off cross country and  a few track days ( yes…track days in an auto) is once the 'box is learned, the 1840cc ones will easily play keepy-uppy Xcountry with one of these odd & horrid manual funny stick-twiddly 3 pedally Sealed things.

Urban stop-start consumption is bloody awful, in top on the motorway in O’drive 70mph sees it wavering around 3k RPM…with a decent 30 plus MPG.

I’ve had “hammer time” Glen forays using L & S modes down to mid-teens…quite proud of that!

S-mode and switching in/out of Hold is a right laugh. Allegedly…3rd will take it into 3 figures…so I’m reliably informed. Cough In that mode, engine braking in abundance too.

The box is bullet proof, and of course these old tech mills relish being nailed IF…the big IF…they are fit to begin with and get 4k oil changes.

No idea what price you are thinking of but somebody somewhere needs it.

It’s all about the true condition of the tub though. 

I like my wee slusher … so much so I had it refurbished at considerable expense for a dry day retirement toy.

They all have a place in 5 life-styles.

Thanks for the write up Scottish fiver. 

I’m sure someone will need what I have but not in any rush to sell so when it goes, it goes. 

In reply to your question about the state of the body work,  all I can say is in all my years of running 5’s and being around them,  I don’t think I have seen a more solid unmolested one. 

As to price,  obviously I want to get back what I’ve put into it with a little profit,  so looking at offers in the region of £2k.

I was thinking around 2.5k myself tbh. If it’s solid ( and it certainly seems so, together with it’s low miles) I believe you are being very reasonable.

If I hear of anyone in my position, I’ll point you to them.

Never know what the next day brings.

Is that an ad? If so, there is a For Sale section for OC members like yourself.

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst116951_Mk1-1-8-Automatic-for-Sale.aspx

It wasn’t meant to be an ad, I was just replying to Scottishfiver.

Genuinely sorry if I have broken the forum rules, I didn’t mean to.

No issue, just wanted to make sure you knew about the ad section.

Rather like the front number plate plinth for a 5 digit plate. Is it a Japanese plinth cut down to height?

Spot on there