Protecting heavily sun damaged mohair roof on the inside

1. My model of MX-5 is: mk2.5 1.8
  2. I’m based near: ipswich
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: roof treatment

So I’ve got a mint condition good as new mohair roof on my mx5 I’ve just picked up. On the outside that is. It’s sunbleached and turning to dust on the inside. I think it was always used with the roof down. (As it should be) but they didn’t use the tornneau cover. Consequently there are some sections with sun damage on the inside which I’d like to prevent getting any worse.

Use the hood cover/top boot! That’s what it’s fo. It also stops the hood bouncing as you drive and stops the wear marks.

Thanks mate. Think you might have misunderstood the issue here. The damage has already happened. I do use it all the time. The issue is I’ve just picked the car up and the previous owners hadn’t. The roof is good as brand new on the outside but sun damaged on the inside where it was exposed to the sun because they hadn’t used the tonneau cover. So the inside is now producing quite a bit of dust. I’m thinking I want to spray it with something to stop it getting any worse but not sure what product would be best. Some kind lacquer perhaps to stop it breaking up any further?

The only thing you can do with it, as it’s a cloth, is to give it a really good clean the dye it with a fabric dye.

Restoring Faded Fabric Upholstery | UK Tutorials (furnitureclinic.co.uk)