Pulsating noise from brakes at lower speeds from front right.

Hello all, 

I was on a long drive to Aberdeen when I noticed that at lower speeds (<25mph) a pulsating noise from the front right brake when braking. When I say pulsating, it slows in rhythm as I drive slower.

Could it be warped disc? The performance of the brakes seems to be unaffected and doesn’t veer off to the left or right when braking. Been googling away but with no joy. 

The brakes shouldn’t be worn as it was serviced just last week. 

Thanks for any help in advance. 

Do you feel it through the steering or is it just a noise like the back plate catching the disc ?

Just noise, nothing is felt through the wheel. If it's the plate catching on the disc, is it an easy fix?

Yes, get the wheel off, support the car safely. Turn the disc to see if the back plate is catching and where it’s catching The back plate is thin and easily bent, just a little easing will do it.

If it is only happening when braking,then you will feel it through the brake pedal when braking not the steering wheel if it is a warped disc{#emotions_dlg.thumb}

IE:- the pedal will jump up and down with the warp.

M_m

I’ve found the backplate to catch at low speed and not be audible at higher speeds, and, that warped discs vibrated brakepedal at all speeds. Am I correct or does this vary?

Spot onThumbs up

M-m

Ok, so I made a video so you can hear the noise for yourselves. What do you guys reckon?

Also had the wheel off earlier, didn’t really know what I was looking for although the rotation seemed to not be as free as it should, it was also a little uneven. You can see it here

Thanks again for your help. 

Well done Strevo, the braking video is quite useful and that’s a very loud rubbing / semi-squeak you have there.

From the disc video yes, you also seem to have a bit of runout on the disc, but I wouldn’t have thought it would make the noise we got from the first video.

You said the brakes had recently been done - I presume there was no noise like that before?

If so, then I think you’d better take the car back to whoever did the brakes for them to look at it again.

If you did it, then I would firstly remove the pads and spin the disc to see if you still have the noise. Also look at the disc from the top and see how much wobble there is in the disc as it turns, but you’ll have to put a couple of nuts on the studs to clamp up the disc properly as I see you haven’t got the countersunk retaining screw in place.

I think I might also have a good look at the wheel rim - are you sure it isn’t touching the caliper? That could make that sort of noise without feeling it through the steering.

Just seen your vids this morning, it’s certainly is’nt the back plate catching. It sounds like the wheel is about to fall off ! It could be one of the brake components -shims, spring clips not fitted properly and scraping, I think that’s a good bet. Go back to your brake fitter & let him try it. Unless you fancy taking the pads out yourself.

Cheers for the replies. As much as I’d like to think I could fix it myself, I’d make a hash of it. Got it booked in to the garage for tomorrow morning. 

Well?

Haven’t picked up the car yet but I spoke to the garage and they said they took the pads out on both sides, gave them a clean and and put them back together again. I’m yet to see if this has solved the problem but I shall see tomorrow morning. Will let you know Big Smile

and?

What happened?

Brakes did not work and wrote it of???, it was not the brakes but the engine and it’s gone pop??? Who knows???<o:p></o:p>

And the mystery begins…<o:p></o:p>

M-m

Having heard the noise yes it could be brakes but have you checked the wheel bearing it may be cream crackered and emmitting a noise when under load through braking, usually warped brakes dont emmitt a noise usually just a judder through the pedal

alan

I have a higher speed pulsating problem - it feels like when a wheel is unbalanced but it only happens intermittently. Could it be the brakes binding randomly! Any ideas please?

This was my problem and eventually got it sorted.
Hopefully it will give you something to go on👍