Question For Lowered NC Owners - How Well Has The Mod Aged?

Hi All,

I’m rather keenly looking at the WIM lowering springs and Geo package for my NC Sport-Tech PRHT. I’ve read many a forum post from very happy owners after the work has been done saying that it has transformed the car etc, which is all very positive.

BUT

My concern is with how well the springs / modification ages. I’ve read the odd story of springs sagging or dampers not coping well etc etc so I’m very keen to hear from anyone who has used lowering springs (WIM, Eibach or A.N.Other) to get an idea of their longevity.

So the questions are:

• What spring do you have?
  • How long have you had them?
  • How are they performing now?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I have Eibach springs and had the WIM alignment about four years ago now I think. Best thing I did to improve my NC1 and vouch for this mod. Must be more mindful of ground clearance now but handling is noticeably improved, so there is a positive trade off (and reason to take the long route, if coming across speed bumps!).

Have not noticed any deterioration but I would think that there would have been. I’m no mechanic or racing driver, but would imagine deterioration would be gradual so undetectable by the likes of me. Others may be more sensitive to any changes.

Car still feels really tight and turn in remains leaps and bounds better than how I recall my sister’s NC1 feeling when I drove it a year or so ago, so even after a few years the changes remained noticeable to me.

Putting in yellow dot RX8 Anti Roll Bars is also a farily cheap and a great handling mod AND they do not deterioate with age - although you might have to get new drop links at the same time as the originals are soo hard to remove.

@Meneer_MX5 Yep, currently in the process of getting some rx8 arbs liberated!

@Adam_Williams Thats good to know, thanks for that feedback :smiley:

edit - tidying up posts!

Anyone else able to share their experiences?

I had the WIM lowering springs added to my Bilsteins. Great at the time and a cost effective way of getting the car lower and of course looking far much better.
Handling great, infact it was perfect for me with one exception. I felt on undulating roads the lowering springs/Bilstein combination just felt a little bouncy on the rear, it bottomed out the odd time if you were really pushing it.
I changed the whole lot and went to MeisterR’s, they’ve been fitted for around 3 years now and are perfect with one exception. On our last trip out we had cause to clip the road, I think with the chassis brace, no harm done, one of those roads which was raised in-between the wheel tracks . I think I’m getting the need to raise the height a little, just a tad, probably go for an alignment check too just to reassure myself, well it has been 3 years since the last one.
Hope this helps.:+1:

That is actually really helpful Mick, thanks for that! Reason being is that I find my car to be far too “bouncy” on poorer surfaces and that was one of the things I was concerned that would not be resolved by this change.

Currently, under load in cornering its mostly good - good grip, reasonably good turn in and stable grip, but the vertical movement (or bounciness!) just takes away sooooo much of the confidence and thus the enjoyment - that is one of the big things I want to resolve.

Did the Meisterrs fix this for you?

Yes straight out of the box really once fitted a big difference. I wanted the same drop, as with the WIM springs set up so around 30mm. Don’t get me wrong you can’t go flying over anything and everything at great speed, caution is the word but the car feels much firmer on the rear.
I’ve got a dodgy back and not once have I’ve found the NC uncomfortable to be in, getting in and out is another thing, an age thing😄
I’ve recently driven an NC at standard height, with standard suspension really, it felt weird driving it coming out of mine, like soft and bouncy. Probably wasn’t anything wrong with it suspension wise, it just felt so different but I guess it would being used to driving mine.

Soft and bouncy really sums it up!

Main (well, only) reason I was looking at the WIM option as opposed to the MeisterR is cost. But if the WIM option isnt going to fix the main issue I have… :-/

@Adam_Williams how has your car performed with regards to bounce?

It’s hard to recall how the standard car felt bounce wise versus mine, having had the adjustment such a long time ago. I have not noticed anything concerning though or felt anything unusual bounce wise, but that might just be me being so accustomed to my car now. It would be interesting to drive two cars back to back.

The WIM alignment and Eibach springs has served me well but eventually I would like to move to a decent coilover. In the meantime there are other costs that are taking priority.

My mk 3 was lowered with Eibach springs by the previous owner, i had that car for ten years, it would scrape the plastic sump cover on our locall speed humps but was never a real issue, we did three tours of Southern Ireland, three in scotland ,the lakes ,Somerset ,devon etc and never worried, the handling was still great after the ten years with over 70000 miles put on them. Just wondering if i should do the same on the prht with bilsteins we have now.
HTH
Steve

You have to consider speed bumps of course, gently does it at low speed. I always put one side over rather than straddle the hump if it’s one of those square type humps each side of the road.
Going over rutted ground or down lanes where the centre strip can sometimes be higher can cause scraping of the undersides
There are some roads I’ve been down in my daily driver and I’ve thought, glad I’m not in the NC on this road.
Having said all of the above if you take care and watch where you are pointing the car (road surface) you should have very few problems, I haven’t had many in around 7 years ownership of my lowered NC.

Footnote… I will probably take mine up a little soon, I’ve found it more of a concern just lately, or is it the roads are getting in a poorer state. I’m only probably talking raising around 10mm but the car could have settled lower over the years.

So, I spoke to WIM today to enquire about their springs for my PRHT, but it seems I’m a victim of my roof!

Firstly, they don’t make their own springs anymore as they have reverted to the Eibach springs. Secondly they’ve informed me that Eibach don’t make springs specifically for the PRHT, and that when they have fitted them to the PRHT it has tended to cause some ride height issues at the rear and have has a few dissatisfied customers because of it.

This is making me think again on springs, the thought being perhaps I should save up a bit more and go down the MeisterR route…

Meisters or other height adjustables should give you the exact height you need. By the time you have swapped springs onto your old shocks which may or may not be in top condition and faffed about worrying about the resulting ride height.

1 Like

I was in the exact same boat.

I eventually had eibachs fitted by WIM, with matching alignment. Had them since March, done around 3k on them. Mines a PRHT as well.

It does sit low and has caught humps once or twice unless you’re very careful. Going very slowly is the key. It can also feel a bit bouncy on less then perfect roads, which can get a bit tiring sometimes.

On the plus side it gets rid of the ridiculous ride height which I hated. So much so the car was getting sold without it being addressed. Looks great now :ok_hand:

Lastly, the handing is sublime. Huge difference after the springs and alignment. It really is night and day.

Do I wish it was slightly higher? Just a bit. But for the outlay compared to coilovers, I’m happy to live with it as is. The new look and handling
still outweigh the negatives. I’ll go coilover at some point I’m sure as the shocks get older and even less comfortable.

If you are worried about the height, coilovers should offer a bit more adjustability and finesse.

You pays your money, you take your choice.

I’ve had the Eibach -30mm springs fitted onto standard non Bilstein shocks on the NC 1.8 soft top, currently Meister club race on the Sport Tech 2.0 PRHT, replacing OEM Bilstein coilovers. Both have their merits TBH. However, the Meister set up is fantastic for me. I Was running mid range damper adjustment which is great but very firm. Recently wound back to full soft setting as an experiment and the ride (for day to day) is very comfortable indeed without the handling being noticably impaired. That’s the benefit of adjustable coilovers, both ride height and damping adjustments available to suit the individual :+1: I’m on my third set of Meister suspension over several years and mk1 & mk3 cars. Really like them and nice that they come with top mounts, ready to fit! Pity they’re not more visible on the car as they look amazing in my eyes!
Barrie

2011 2.0 PRHT owner here. I had Eibach springs fitted by WIM about a year ago. Currently waiting for them to finish installing MeisterR’s Zeta CRD - need I say more? :slight_smile:

For me, the Eibach springs and Bilstein combination did not feel great. A bit too bouncy on uneven Road and too low for speed bumps in the London area. I scrapped the underside so badly in the first two months that I managed to bend one of the chassis braces. I have been a lot more careful since but this involves taking speed bumps at awkward angles and at 5mph. Not great!

For me, the Eibach lowering springs have been a bit of a waste of money. Don’t get me wrong - they do improve handling and looks. Comfort isn’t bad either. But you need to gauge if you can live with the low height.

Later edit: the Eibachs also sagged about 10mm in the first year. Ride height was 345mm (hub to wheel arch) and went down to 335ish.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be going down the MeisterR route, it just means that the cost has tripled so I need to do a bit more saving up / cash hunting! Lucky I’ve got a few things I need to get sold like my old android head unit etc… can anyone advise where I can find the kideny section of the for sale area?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Look at it another way - by going with MeisterR’s (or almost any other coilover system from a reputable vendor) from the start you will not have to pay installation costs again once the novelty of the lowering springs wears off :wink: A saving of £300+ in the long run!

For me this was a classic case of “cheap out and buy twice”. And there are multiple examples like mine on this forum.

1 Like

DrBrainSol may be right BUT not everyone can afford mega monies for MeisterR’s . . . .

1 Like