Question for Moderators

Why does my reply to a fellow member need to be moderated because I put a link to a Facebook Page for a Mk 2 breakers? Also when will it be accepted or denied? Will I be notified?

All replies to for sale or wanted ads must be made in a personal message itā€™s a long standing forum protocol. The software will stop any that are attempted as a reply to the post, Iā€™d assume you will get an automatic notification.

Not too long ago, I replied to someone who had asked for information about how much to charge for some parts, they had posted in the ā€˜Wantedā€™ section (Iā€™d clicked on the thread from the ā€˜Latestā€™ threads listing so hadnā€™t noticed) and so I got the ā€œmoderation approval required messageā€ on clicking the reply button.

My reply to their message was never authorised, and I never receieved any notification automatic or otherwise.

Maybe the message was relayed on to the person, or maybe it went into the ether (not that it matters now since they sold the items).

Sounds more like the post you replied to was in breach of forum rules

Thanks Iain. No automatic reply was given to that effect. It said the reply needed moderation before publishing. Now I know.

Interesting, thanks for asking the question. As I thought/presumed that sometimes they might be permitted, if they help or assist that particular post?

Like someone who puts a wanted ad up for a car, and doesnā€™t state a budgetā€¦

But it sounds like any posts made in response to an ad automatically go in the bin? Why doesnā€™t it just say that then, rather than a potentially misleading ā€˜requires moderationā€™ message?

Steve

1 Like

They do go into a queue and are acted on, my assumption was that a message was sent automatically when a post is rejected.

Some posts may be approved, I donā€™t know what happened to the one raised by the OP.

The reason for having this mechanism is that there was at one point a tendency for some to challenge or comment on the prices put on an advert.

We feel it is better that all discussions around a want or sale are kept between the parties directly involved, sometimes it may be a bit of a blunt instrument however it should ensure things are treated consistently.

3 Likes

Understood Ian, thanks for the explanation :+1:t3: