Quick instrument cluster loan in exchange for quality brew + cake

Hi all,

I’m having a bit of a nightmare getting my Tacho / rev counter working on my ‘93 mk1 1.8 and wondered if there might be someone in the nearby area who has a spare mk1 or mk2 instrument cluster (with a known to be working rev counter) that I can quickly borrow so I can try to isolate my problem.

Initially thinking a simple swap would resolve my problem I bought a couple of used clusters from fleabay (obvs no joy there) and I’m now wondering if maybe some settings are incorrect in my ME221… being totally honest with you, this problem has been ongoing for a while and I’ve slept several times between attempts to resolve it. I confirmed I’m getting a signal to the cluster tho I don’t know how many ‘toggles per rev’ spits out the correct signal pulse. And at the same time I can’t rule out the used cluster I’ve bought might also be duff.
Hence, quick check with a known good rev counter means any problem would be in ME221 settings and easily resolved.

My instrument cluster is already removed so I can plug up the loaner, run the engine up, fiddle with any settings, confirm all is well and unplug in about 10-15mins max.

I also make a great cup of tea (or fresh coffee), and also offer some sticky buns or cake while I quickly do my test :cake::coffee:

I’m located in Rugby.

Please DM me if you are able to help so we can make arrangements.

All help gratefully received

From memory its 2xRPM but someone else on here may have more detailed info than that. I presume you checked for fault codes too?

Have you got an automotive multi-meter with an RPM setting on it? If so, you could test the tacho pulse with that and see if it is giving a correct reading.

Tried 2 & 4 with both clusters I have (the original and a spare) No joy :frowning_face:

Would I still need to check for fault codes even though I’m running a ME221 ECU?

With the ME221 ECU I’m able to control the pulse setting via the laptop, I’m just unsure what pulse setting the cluster needs to receive.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.