Quick question re post MOT drive

It seems that MX5s are not particularly hard on tyres and they also tend not to be high mileage vehicles.
The downside if this is that tyres are getting to the end of life due to age before they are wearing out.
It’s an easy decision to replace tyres that are getting thin, less so when they are getting old.

3 Likes

They were wrong to replace one, you always replace in pairs.
Replacing a damper absolutely does not alter the geometry. Therefore you’re driving a bit too quickly on these terrible roads on not very good tyres.
It is so slippery out there with salt, grit, water and ice. I can do a rolling start now, then nail it and get wheelspin, even in second gear in some cars.

People always complain about main dealer prices without understanding why. Their overheads are huge! Look around when you’re there, the secretary, the salesmen sat on their arses not doing much half the time, the Health & safety compliance, special tools, equipment, heated showrooms with cars just stood in them, huge amounts of rates etc, it’s all got to be paid for somehow.

If you don’t like it go to your local indy. You won’t get all the perks, but you’ll get a good honest job for less money.

4 Likes

I do admire your honesty, humour and approach to life.:wink::laughing:
I have been telling people to go to “A Good Independent Garage” for years.
But for some reason owners think Main dealers do a better job or provide a better service.
Of course some do.
Warranty is the main reason, but you and I and others know you don’t have to have it serviced at a MD for warranty purposes as long as genuine parts are used. (That is another topic perhaps).
Shame you up North!

2 Likes

You wouldn’t like it up here, it’s grim up North :laughing:
I’m just a typical old shool Yorkshireman :+1:

Yes you’re right about warranties, they’ve got you by the b@lls there. Then once the warranty has run out because it’s familiar some keep going back, it’s totally understandable, as are their prices.
Then as we’ve discussed with the NC piston ring/oil problem, what good was dealer servicing as far as that was concerned? Not worth the paper it’s written on now.

3 Likes

Did the garage remove both rear tyres at the same time and put the left back on the right and the right back on the left?
Years ago I had Avon ZV3’s on my Caterham 7 and swapped them left to right and right to left as above. The first roundabout I got to, without much power applied, the back end just let go without warning. Turns out the ZV3’s were better suited to a tin-top rather than a light sports car, and also, I had scrubbed the tyres up in one direction and then reversed the direction by swapping them over. After a bit of vigorous driving I was able to regain the lost grip but it took a while. I’ve never swapped L2R or R2L again.

1 Like

Any chance they tightened the affected side with the wheel hanging which could affect corner weight, ride height and/or geo.

1 Like

Um, I assume they would only have taken the wheel off the one side of the car to gain access to the shock, can’t think why they would remove both wheels.

Don’t know. Car all seems normal otherwise, car appears level on the road.
I think the first thing to do is replace the rear tyres, which will be next week. Then assess from then on. :+1:

“Replacing a damper absolutely does not alter the geometry.”
So are you saying replacing the damper would not cause this to happen?

You don’t have to undo any of the suspension adjusters to get a strut out so the geometry will remain unchanged.
It’s basically unbolt strut or damper, drop it out. If any arms or maybe a droplink need moving to help then they are positively located and can’t be put back in a different place.

3 Likes

Definitely replace shocks as a pair, even two shocks of the same type but different age/usage will perform slightly different and on an MX5 you have a light rear end through which the power is being transferred, if it where me I would prioritize fitting 2nd new shock in the short term.
Good luck.

1 Like

Avon ZV7 is a summer tyre. I wouldn’t be surprised if it lost a very great deal of its grip when temperatures get well down into single figures Celsius.

:+1:
Just went out & measured the ride height, all seems ok.

Ok. The thing is though at rest there are no dinnamic forces at work, my concern would be that under load (cornering, accelerating, braking etc) the suspension may be working at different rates, ie compressing/returning/extending at a different rate or pressure, possibly upsetting the vehicles balance and grip, just an opinion though.

2 Likes

It’s unlikely tread depth is the issue but the age of the tyre, do you know how old they are? Rubber hardens as it ages, there is a date code on the side wall somewhere. If they are getting old then ideally you may be better replacing all four. Black Circles have some great prices…

Update.
Thanks all you guys (and gals) for your input, much appreciated.
Had 2 new Dunlop tyres fitted yesterday hoping that would solve the issue…It didn’t.
Took it out for a test drive & it felt good, but first chance I had, accelerated out of a corner …same problem.
So. Think i’m goint to give Neil at BBR a call and ask for a solution, and if he recommends a couple of Bilsteins, that is what i’m going to go with.
Will let you know how things go. (They’ve got an all round Koni suspension package for £700)

p.s. Any body else having problems sleeping during lockdown?

Depending on the new tyres ( summer? ) and the fact that they are brand new and therefore not scrubbed or bedded in and the current road conditions and temperatures it may not be surprising grip is lacking.
Did you also check the inflation pressure as some fitters will seat the beads with higher pressure and not then drop it to the correct 29 psi or so.

2 Likes

Update.

Took the car today to my brother-in-law (a mechanic) who has had a look & taken a note of the shock that was fitted, & is ordering another of the same for the drivers side which he will fit. He took it for a drive & did a few ‘tests’ and confirmed that the old shock indeed had a lot more ‘give’ in it. Hopefully when done this will solve the issue.
Thanks again for all your replys and advice duely noted…always fit in pairs. :+1:

Update…update.
Second shock fitted. Back on rails again. :+1:

Thanks for all your replys.

5 Likes

It’s good when a plan comes together. :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes