RAF Coningsby visit

Hi it’s

phil and Josie we are away 29th July back 5th Aug we would like to put our names down please 

Hi Martin

We are in the Lincs area rather than NEM but would like to put our name down for this if it’s not over subscribed. NEM members come first obviously. Have always meant to do the memorial flight tour but never got around to it.

Blue Bell Inn is a good choice too. So much history in the place, Dambusters veterans and many more have signed the walls and ceiling. Thankfully nobody has ever painted over them! We are up for the meal afterwards too.

Not sure whether we will meet up at Newark or see you at Coningsby, will mean us getting through Lincoln at rush hour. The A1/A46 junction at Newark has roundabouts either side of the A1. Newark side there are McDonalds and KFC outlets but I would suggest the Lincoln side of the junction where there is ‘The Friendly Farmer’ farm shop and restaurant. Some nice local produce in the farm shop and a mean sausage sandwich or breakfast in the restaurant. Plus toilets for those of us who are a certain age and never pass up on the chance of a comfort break. Decent size car park too. If you decide on this as a meeting point cross over the A1 and then take the A17 and the entrance is immediately on the left. If you continue on the A46 you will have to go half a mile to the next roundabout to come back again.

If you could put us down for the tour plus meal please.

Elaine and Paul Kent.

I’d love to come along. I visited many years ago when my mate was a newly commissioned Navigator and lived in Martin. There was a great village pub nearby that kept “flexible hours” before it was fashionable.

Rob.

Martin,

Please add Bryan & Catherine to the visit.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

Please add Reg & Lynn to the list

Thanks

Hi,

Please add us to the list. As I know you won’t be able to sort a date to suit everybody, just let me know what is eventually decided upon and we’ll see if that date suits us.

Nigel & Ayliffe

Hi Martin

Can you put me down as a definite plus one other ( to be confirmed )

If a problem at this stage let me know

Regards

Graeme

Hi Martin

I’m from the MK/Chilterns region but if there is space I’d like to join you on Weds 10th July for this visit. 

I will aim to be A46/A1 roundabout in Newark for 8:30.

Regards

John

Hi Martin,

Just to confirm that Ayliffe and I are OK for the visit on the 10th July. (Didn’t see the date when I wrote my earlier post.)

We will not be stopping for lunch, as we need to get home to look after the grand children.

Regards,

Nigel & Ayliffe. 

Hi Martin.

Look forward to joining you on 10th July. Many thanks for organising

Cheers

John

PLease add myself and my friend Lisa

Id love to attend if there’s room for an old RAF chap who served at RAF Coningsby in the early 80s.  Can second the Bluebell for pub lunch which has a good size car park and the Farm Shop at the bottom of the A46 for the initial meet

Hello Martin and Anne,

Just to confirm that we will be coming on the run, as mentioned at the Coopers last Thursday.

See you soon.

Hello Martin,

New to the club but if not too late would love to join you on this trip. It would be myself and my wife Sandra.

Thanks, Mike 

Hi Martin

Please add us to the list for Coningsby. Will join you at Newark and also for lunch.

Cheers
Don & Kate

Just to confirm we are still OK for that date Lynn n Reg

OK Folks, we are now at the stage where I’m going to have to close this event to further numbers.

N.B. This is quite a long post, so please ensure you scroll down to the bottom!

The list of attendees is as follows:

Me & My dad, Bryan Shaw, David Mortiboys, Graeme Jarman (+1), David Ward, Dennis & Lisa, Alan & Sam, James, Reg & Lynn, John & Jan, Phil (but not Josie), Elaine & Paul (Lincs Region), Barnsley Rob, Bryan & Catherine, Nigel & Ayliffe(Not staying for lunch), John Leary (MK & Chilterns), John Hoy, Hedley & Christine, Nigel Parr & Lisa, Matt Pritton, Mike Berrington & Sandra, Shaun Ashley and Don & Kate.

Could you all please confirm that you’ll be coming along on Wednesday 10th July.

Our rendezvous point will  be The Friendly Farmer which is a cafe/farm shop on the roundabout where the A46 meets the A17 at Newark. The postcode for your satnavs is NG24 2NY. We will be leaving there at 9:00 prompt. I’ll be leading us on a short run through rural Lincolnshire to Coningsby.

If circumstances mean that you can’t make it to the rendezvous point in time, then feel free to go directly to Coningsby. The postcode is LN4 4SY. Follow signs for ‘Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight’ and NOT those for RAF Coningsby, as those would take you to the wrong part of the airfield!

Because of the size of our group, we get a discount on admission, so it will be £6.48 per head. This is a 10% discount on the normal admission price of £7.20. I think it would be appropriate to each pay £6.50, with the change going to the RAF Benevolent Fund. Hope you all agree. They will only take one payment, so rather than all of you paying individually I’ll pay on my card and will need the cash from each of you prior to entering the venue. 

After the visit, we’re booked in to the Blue Bell Inn at Tattershall Thorpe. This was one of the pubs frequented by crew from 617 Squadron and is a very interesting little pub.

They have put together a menu for us and I think it’s very reasonably priced at £10.95 for 1 course, £13.95 for 2 courses or £16.95 for 3 courses.

They also do very nice sandwiches, for those with a smaller appetite or anyone who may be booked in for a meal elsewhere later in the day.

They need pre-orders for the food.

The menus are as follows:

Starters

Homemade tomato and basil soup, served with warmed crusty bread. 

Homemade Chicken liver pate served with malted toast, salad garnish and chutney. 

Homemade breaded Brie served with salad garnish and redcurrant jelly.

Mains

Homemade Steak and ale pie served with chips and seasonal vegetables

Chicken breast in a BBQ sauce with cheddar cheese served with new potatoes and seasonal vegetables.

Baked haddock with a mornay sauce, served with new potatoes and seasonal vegetables

Brie,cranberry and mushroom tart served with new potatoes and salad garnish.

Lincolnshire sausage on a bed of mash potato served with onion gravy and seasonal vegetables.

Homemade chicken curry served with pilau rice and naan bread.

Deserts

Raspberry cheesecake with vanilla ice cream

Lemon citrus tart with vanilla ice cream 

Sticky toffee pudding with custard 

Apple crumble with custard 

1 course £10.95

2 course £13.95

3 course £16.95 

The sandwich/ lighter options are:

The Dambuster

A hot crusty white roll with your choice of filling, served with salad garnish & homemade chips £7.95

Bloomer Sandwiches

White or malted bloomer bread with your choice of filling, served with a salad garnish £6.95

Filling Options for Dambuster & Bloomer

Home Roast Ham

Ham & Tomato

Ham & Chutney

Mature Cheddar Cheese

Cheese & Onion

Cheese & Tomato

Tuna & Mayo

Soup & Bloomer

Soup of the day with your choice of bloomer sandwich £7.95

Sides

Homemade coleslaw £1.95

Homemade beer battered onion rings £2.50

Garlic bread £2.95

Cheesey garlic bread £3.75

Bread basket for one £1.95

Chips £2.50

Cheesey Chips £3.00

Please peruse the above options and let me know what you’d like ASAP

Cheers

Martin

Mike & Sandra Berrington confirming.
Food order (just 2 courses)
Haddock / chicken curry
Cheesecake / Lemon Tart
Thanks for organising event and looking forward to meeting you.
Mike

Hi Martin,

Confirmation that Christine and Hedley will be coming.

Could you please order:

1 x Steak and Ale Pie.

1 x Baked haddock.

1 x Raspberry cheesecake.

Many thanks.

Hi Martin a Dambuster Tina Mayo please James