Rain or soap stains, removal

We now have another car on the drive.
So a question for the detailers out there.
The black strip to the bottom outside of the side windows that stops rain going into the door cavity is stained with what looks like either rain drops or more likely TFR soap which has been left on too long.
I’ve tried autoglym bumper and trim gel on a sponge and it hasn’t made any difference.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Dave.

Try a very very small amount of thin oil on a clean cloth and work it in. It may not work but at least it is cheap and quick, a bit like me really!!!
:heart:

1 Like

Or try tyre dressing, vinyl and rubber treatment both from Autoglym. They’ve never failed to clean up or should I say brighten up any such areas on my car.

I’m sure I’ve read that peanut butter (smooth? crunchy?) works wonders on plastic & rubber trim… can’t remember where though. I’ve never tried it however… buyer beware!

I have used Pink Sheen to good effect.

It seems to clean/enhance vinyl and rubber.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302014969366?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=302014969366&targetid=856209655199&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045139&poi=&campaignid=6619152140&mkgroupid=91469645994&rlsatarget=pla-856209655199&abcId=1140496&merchantid=113554426&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh5GLmNDY5wIVCLrtCh2DLQbPEAQYAyABEgInfvD_BwE

Peanut butter spread, yes I’ve got some of that too in the garage (smooth) never used in on the MX-5 but it worked wonders on faded plastic bumpers on Vauxhall I once owned.

I wouldn’t use peanut butter on anything where there is the slightest danger of a mouse being anywhere near, it’s ambrosia for them :mouse:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, i will give the oil a go when i can get home in day light and it’s not raining.

Thanks for the suggestions, 1st chance i‘ve had to get hands on with the car and as you can see WD40 wipe over has made a great difference, whether it lasts is another matter but it’s no great shakes to wipe over every now and then.

1 Like

hi all
I use a product from germany via ebay it is really good at cleaning and lubricating all door rubbers and seals around roof boot and bonnet , its called (gummi pflege) cost about £12
but last a long time and it comes with its own easy to apply applicator.
item number is 5412763148069 it also has some good reviews .

WD40 is great for removing polish off plastic trim but I suspect long term area use may be detrimental as it’s likely to pull the oils out the plastic.

For area application I use CarPro PERL where it lasts about 3 months on cars kept outside but is a dabble to apply. Has the added bonus of being truly magical on interior plastic and coated leather!

I’ve got bad staining on mine and even neat IPA wouldn’t shift it but PERL at least temporarily covers it up!

Ooer, that’s TFR alright. My BMW X5 had to have all the trim replaced when their valeters did that to mine; however, the second time they did it (yep, they did it to several cars several times) the paint guy brought it back to life with a diluted 3M light cutting compound. It didn’t even leave swirl marks.

As an aside, it cost Sytner £2600 in new trim. £1300 for the first change and another £1300 for another full set when I got hold of the service manager to ask why they’d got Mr McGoo to install it.

Agreed!

I have heard Chili Oil might be an alternative deterrent, but what if the mice like it?