Ram Air or Pipercross panel filter?

A happy driver/owner is a great result! Enjoy the weekend and driving…

1 Like

Thanks Snelly
You too. :+1:

I own a 2011 2 Litre Kendo which I had the BBR 200 conversion done a couple of years ago. I’m about to have it serviced & just for the hell of it bought a Pipercross filter to replace the K&N filter fitted during the BBR conversion. I know they are both washable & reusable, but in all honesty just wanted to try out the pipercross to see if there was any discernable change in performance.
What it didn’t say on the MX5 PARTS website was that it will need cleaning every 1000miles.
Is this really necessary? Seems a tad excessive. Does anyone else clean theirs that often?

1 Like

It’s good to keep regular cleaning. But didn’t realise it was every 1000 miles. Mind you i haven’t got near that yet with this darn pandemic.
I believe there are cleaners out there but not sure which one is best. I presume it just to keep it to its best performance.

Yes, MX5 PARTS sell cleaning kits for both K&N & Pipercross. Every 1000 miles seems a lot considering pre-pandemic I was using my car to commute each day. Ah well…I’ll treat it as an experiment & if it doesn’t work out I’ll clean & reuse the K&N.

Cheers for the swift reply. :+1:

1 Like

I have bought a Pipercross for my MX5 and have just pulled out the instructions. There are 3 different sorts on the instructions:

1. Race Filter - suggests not suitable for road use - but no details of how regularly should be cleaned
  2. Oiled filter - needs servicing every 20,000 miles
  3. Dry filter - which presumably is the one for this car (mine is not oiled, so again, presume it is this one) - needs servicing every 20,000 miles.

Hope this helps. Can upload a picture of the care instructions if anyone is interested…

Hi Snelly,
Now that’s thrown me!! As you say, just looked at the paperwork that came with the filter & sure enough there are three type. But on the box there is no indication which this is, just “Pipercross Air Filter”
:thinking:

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/filter-pipercross-mk3-35-p-2182.html

I see mine is a Pro Ram so I’ve just sent them a message asking how often I should clean mine.

Just had this reply from Ram Air…

Good to know. :+1:

1 Like

When I’ve had the service and fitted this, I’ll come back & let you know if I can notice any difference in performance. (suspect a lot of it is psychological).

1 Like

Personally I felt a difference between OEM and Pro Ram (ram air) filter. Would be good to hear what you say between K&N and Pipercross.

1 Like

I’ll let you know…just booked a service for a week saturday. :+1:

1 Like

Had the service and Pipercross filter fitted.
I’d be lying if I said I could notice any difference in performance between the old K&N and the Pipercross, but don’t know about you but after a service the car always feels a little bit ‘sharper’… Its probably psychological.

1 Like

The oil will not have had the polymer chains chopped to bits yet, so the motor should feel smoother and quieter

1 Like