Rattle solved... possibly (NC2)

NC2 2.0

A rattle was driving me crazy. I tried under seats, behind seats, footwell, removed glovebox, dash etc…

I also removed windshield trim to located the infamous loose bolt. Still no luck.

Finally, I think I have located the source… possibly the black plastic trim under the bonnet vibrates at certain frequencies.

Has anyone experienced this?

Hope to hear if your diagnosis is definitive and your rattle is gone…

Interested to know which piece of trim you are talking about???

you tested the bonnet catch ???

Piece of trim is black windscreen cowl under bonnet - passenger side.

When I tap it I hear a resonating sound.

I don’t think it’s the bonnet catch, but will take a look.

The retaining screw for the plastic I think you are referring too screws into a grommet. This is the infamous grommet that leaks water into the passenger foot well. If you’ve not already, check the passenger carpet and fuse box area for dampness. I suspect you’ve heard about this but if not there is plenty on the forum.
If these grommets have not already been sealed, now would be a good time to do them.

Richard.

Carpets are dry. It is a 6 year old vehicle. At what age are the grommets likely to perish?

Side note - the car has been garaged overnight for the past year.

The grommets are plastic, there is a spongy gasket between the grommet and the metal work which leaks. Some replace the whole lot but others like myself just seal around the grommet with a mastic type sealer. Six years old, do them now…
When the passenger side leaks, water can enter the fuse box in the passenger footwell and plays tricks with the electrics. One OC member had to replace his burnt out starter motor.

Richard.

Yes, six to eight years is about the time the leaks appear, even on a garaged low mileage car, like mine was.

Silicone is the answer.

Take the scuttle covers off, being careful not to break the tabs on the oval blanking plugs covering those screws.
Leave the plastic grommet in place, but clean out the perished foam rubber from under it with a length of scrap cloth, a bit like using dental floss.
Clean off all the other dirt, work the silicone in well, give it a few hours to set properly then put it all back together again.

Mine in January 2016

1 Like

Dear Coconino and RichardFX

I will definitely sort out the grommets. As they seem to perish after 6-8 years, is it worth replacing the grommets. Ie. Grommet, gasket, silicone, metal?

Unfortunately, the original creaking noise has not been resolved. The creaking is prominent over bumps. As a last resort, I have wedged a piece of foam between the heater cable and radio.

The plastic grommet itself is perfectly OK, leave it in place. It is only the silly thin bit of foam that has degraded, and will do so again if a new grommet is inserted (also fiddly getting the old one out).

The silicone trick works well and by now will have cured thousands of grommet leaks in NCs.

1 Like