Rear bushes

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nd1
  2. I’m based near: __manchester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __bushes

I am wondering if there is a tool available for removing & reinstalling bushes on an nd1. I recently read a long thread on this which I think is quite old. Surely by now there is a tool out there to complete this job. There are many people on this forum who would be quite capable of doing this work. Any input would be appreciated.

Call Paul roddison in Sheffield :sunglasses:

Thanks for your reply. I don’t actually need them doing. What I was saying is that there are people who are quite capable of doing the work. For example, many years ago I built a kit car. The donor was a Sierra, on removing the fear subframe there were two bushes one offsite & one near side. I believe they were called insulating bushes, anyway I approached a Ford agent & they informed me that they no longer did this work. So I asked if they had the tool & apparently Ford dealers binned all of these tools. I was a fitter so I did make a tool out of bits of tube threaded bar etc. Okay it wasn’t nicely engineered but it did the job in a couple of hours. What I am asking is there a tool out on the market. Sorry for going on about it & once again thanks for your reply.

1 Like

Isn’t it the standard method, get them out however you can, kheat or brute force, and replace with poly bush, doesn’t Mazda not sell them separately, so it’s just not going to happen with OEM but there are polybush kits.?

Yes Stephanie, I saw a utube video where a guy was building a skeletal car Exocet I think it was. Not sure what type of 5 he was using but yes he burned the old bushes out. Easily done when parts are stripped out. My thoughts were surely in this day & age there is a tool to do it. I have an nd with 15000 on the clock so one day it’s going to need doing. I agree with all the people who are saying why would you replace with Mazda parts when they are not fit for purpose. Thanks for your input.

Hi B,
No Mazda do not sell them separately, you have to buy the whole hub carrier.

The point that you may have missed is that the four ‘bushes’ that cause the problem on the ND are in fact a form of ‘spherical bearing’ and not the same as on any other MX5.

At least we now know that we have a cheaper alternatives to replacing the whole assembly but like many on here I look forward to a DIY ‘solution’ for those of us who like to do our own work on the car.

I am confident that eventually someone will do a ‘how to’ for these bushes for us all to benefit from. In the meantime those that have spent time and money on developing these solutions are not going to share their ‘knowledge’ for free, and why should they, after all they are a ‘business’.
:heart:

2 Likes

Andy Leslie manufactures new bearings and the tool to remove the old ones and replace with the new ones. Ill direct him to this thread.

2 Likes

That’ll be good news for people on this forum. One thing about the forum is that everyone tries to help with things like this.
S F