Rear calliper (nearside) in MX5 mk1 fitted but handbreak does not work

Hello,

Don’t know if anybody can help but my uncle recently fitted a refurbed rear calliper on my mx-5 mk1 Eunos as the old one was leaking and the breaks work just fine but the handbreak would not work that side after it was fitted despite his best efforts.

I have my second MOT tomorrow, do people think this calliper is knackered or is there a possibility he has done somethig wrong when fitting it? The garage will charge £80 for a new one plus fitting. Would rather avoid that but if the one fitted is broken will be necessary of course.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Dalby

You’ve adjusted it up, right? On the rear (inner) face of the calliper is a small blanking plug nut (can’t remember size). Remove this and you’ll have access to a hex-head adjuster screw (can’t remember size). Use this to progressively bring pads close to disc, until pads just lock and you can’t turn the disc by hand. Then back off quarter/half a turn until the disc rotates with just the minimum of drag. If in doubt, back off another quarter of a turn.
Try this first, then report back.
S

1 Like

^^^ To add to the above advice, back off the handbrake cable at the lever (handbrake lever inside the car) before commencing any adjustments at the caliper(s) once happy with the adjustment there then go back and take up the slack cable at the lever. Work on around 7 clicks of the lever from off to fully on and holding the discs firmly from rotating. You may need to adjust both sides, check the whole operation of foot and handbrake (go for a drive) then recheck the brakes adjustment again. You may have to tweak the adjusters again to get a balance of both enough clearance at the disc each side for rotation and equal hold each side when the handbrake is applied.
Sometimes it’s a faff to get both sides in balance and maybe the cables are stretched.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. The caliper was incorrectly fitted, garage sorted it out and it passed the MOT! Sorted for another year at least!