Rear noise while driving

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ 1.8 MX5 2011
  2. I’m based near: __ Coventry
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: I have recently came across a scuffing noise from the rear of my car. I have realised this noise when I am in 1st or second gear during low speed. The scuffing noise comes according to the vehicle tyre speed and disappears at high speed dude to engine noise. I bought this car last year august when it was last service and has been driven 5.5k miles now. I was planning to get a major service done for the car. Has anyone experienced this type of issue before ? I hope it is not expensive to fix.

It could be a number of things but first things I would check is for underinflated tyres or uneven wear and brakes for rusty deposits, grooves, lipped/rusty edges or worn pads. Could even be a backing plate bent or crusty and touching the disc. The rear of these cars does seem to transmit quite a bit of noise but if there’s a scraping sound that correlates with speed then best to check the rotating parts first in my opinion.

2 Likes

Have you had new tyre(s) fitted recently [I got an unhealthy sound when I went for 4 x new tyres via Halfords Tyres on the Drive]. Had to call back the bloke who blamed the vehicle…but fixed the issue

Dunno about the MX-5 (?) but my late Triumph Spitfire Mk IV developed an unhealthy whine on the back axel and it turned out to be the Differential Unit

No I have not got new tyres on. What was the issue anyway when fitting a new tyre ?

A scraping/scuffing sound is often grit caught in the brakes.

1 Like

Sorry for the daft question, will it be loud as I get to hear it in the cabin with my roof up. Is it a simple process to remove it or is there a specific way to get it done. Thanks

TBH I can’t remember exactly but think he was under so much time pressure to get to next job that he rushed changing 4 tyres …he was very sulky and annoyed at the call back…I actually stood in front of his van and said something not right and he ignored me and drove off…and still kept blaming Bullit at the call back !
It was very stressful
Otherwise Halfords Tyres on the Drive good value for money
Dude was having a bad day

I thought this too but on the few occasions it s happened to me it has come on so instantly and is so obvious and loud I thought the op would have checked for that.

Check you haven’t got binding brakes on the rear. The discs will get really warm (hot) either maybe just on the one side. It’s not unusual for these brakes to start seizing, calipers or slide pins.
Another maybe, road noise being transmitted into the cabin via the hood drain tubes. If the baffle (flaps) are dislodged it transmits the sound.

2 Likes

If you haven’t done so already, ensure all the wheel fastenings are fully tightened to correct torque. One or more slack wheel bolts/nuts can mimic a scraping sound.

Mine has the hood drain noise. Can confirm it will send you on a wild goose chase to find mechanical causes.

I found out by driving over a stick at speed and it sounded like it was inside the cabin.